• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Obstacles to training

kempocos

Thanks.

Your cousin probably knows Shihan John Olshlager the chief instructor at Nokado School of Self-Defense in Kings Park. He was and I think still is an art teacher at Brentwood High School. He may also know Coach Diaz who was my son's BYA football coach and a physical education teacher for a number of years at Brentwood (his son was on the wreastling team at a few years ago). It's a small world.

Anyway, please be sure to mention my school to him and let him know his students are welcome to visit anytime.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic, and great replies!

I would like to ask anyone if they have similar feelings to mine. Sometimes, I don't feel like going to the dojo; but I always have a really good time when I'm there. My brain will try to make every excuse it can to not go, but when I get home; I think, "Wow, that was great!" Maybe it's because I work 6 days a week, and feel like I'm missing my children grow up. That makes me feel guilty. I don't know. I am a very "hands on" father that spends every possible waking moment with them. I love karate, but I love my kids more. Why do I feel selfish going to class? I only go once a week at this point, but as I said before; they're in bed by the time I get home. I do take them to the dojo on Wednesdays. I even leave work at 3:00 to do it. I take my 3 year old first, go home, and then take my 6 year old. I feel like there just isn't enough time for everything.

I WANT 8 DAYS A WEEK(with 2 Sundays, of course!)!!!!!!

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

I sometimes have the very same feelings as you alanseijas. With working an evening shift and training on the two nights I am off I'm always somewhere in the evening other than home with the wife and kids. I have felt guilty in the pass and have even e-mailed my Hanshi to tell him that I was sorry for missing class "but I felt like I need to be at home tonight". I guess I feel guilty when I miss class as well. He is very understanding and always puts family first. My kids (18 and 8 yr. olds) are great and try to be involved in there lives. My 18 year old trains with me, even though at his age school and girlfriend sometimes come first. :) My wife leaves for her work early in he morning so I'm up to get my young one off to school on the bus and I do spend time with him on the weekends before I have to go to work. Getting home late and up early (4-5 hrs. sleep) wears me down sometimes but it all seems to work in the end. Sounds like you're a great Dad alanseijas, who is involved and dedicated to your kids. I think this world could us more of that. Even though my 18 yr. old thinks my wife and I are dumb as rocks and just wants us to leave him alone to do what he wants. :lol: But thats a whole other subject!!

Another day in the week would be great but I don't think that's going to happen, so we just have to make the best of the time we have and hope it's enough!

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I would like to ask anyone if they have similar feelings to mine. Sometimes, I don't feel like going to the dojo; but I always have a really good time when I'm there. My brain will try to make every excuse it can to not go, but when I get home; I think, "Wow, that was great!"

Yes, this sounds so familiar!!!! The classes at our dojo start pretty late for me - 7pm. After a long day of work and working out, I am wasted by then! Plus the wife/kids thing, and an elderly mother to do errands for, etc.... You are definitely not alone! I tried to get the entire dojo to adjust themselves to my schedule, but that didn't work :lol: So I go when I can muster up the energy. Another guy with similar issues and I went to our Sensei and arranged for private classes in the middle of the day, which are great much better training, but the feeling of class comraderie is missing... but I figure any training is a good thing and I am fortunate to be able to train as much as I do!! (But imagine being 20 again with no responsibilities, training every day, tons of energy)

Sounds like you are a good Dad and family man and that is so important nowadays, be proud of yourself and train as much as you can and it'll all be fine in the end!

"Sometimes, I don't feel like going to the dojo; but I always have a really good time when I'm there. My brain will try to make every excuse it can to not go, but when I get home; I think, "Wow, that was great!"

This is true even for the instructors. A huge part of the battle is just getting there. Once there the blood gets pumping, you get oxygenated, the endorphins kick in and by the time you finish the workout your feel like you accomplished something positive rather than having spent the evening seating on the couch watching the tube.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

rather than having spent the evening seating on the couch watching the tube.

Only after I put my boys to bed! (6 and 3 years old BTW)

Thanks for all your kind responses. It's good to know I'm not alone with this. :)

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

I do take them to the dojo on Wednesdays. I even leave work at 3:00 to do it. I take my 3 year old first, go home, and then take my 6 year old.

I just re-read my post here, and wanted to clarify that my boys train at the same dojo as me; and I'm taking them to their class while I watch(and smile the whole time). Daniel's been in 2 years, and Michael almost 1.

Thanks again.

For me, ...school,..but really...I have a slight hernia type injury that has always kicked up on me, so if I train for half an hour..I'll limp for a long time after, I think it's because I put far too much effort into the height of my roundhouse kick, straining the muscle region...

War and anger shall reign

The clash of iron can be heard

By blindness you're driven insane

I'm lost in anguish and grief

For me, ...school,..but really...I have a slight hernia type injury that has always kicked up on me, so if I train for half an hour..I'll limp for a long time after, I think it's because I put far too much effort into the height of my roundhouse kick, straining the muscle region...

Had to get my hernia fixed finally - once you do, its better than ever! Couple months recovery, though :bawling: