• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate - Help SD at ALL??

Coco

You're getting some good advise from these people, and I agree with them on this issue. In my dojo, size isn't an issue when I have people spar. whether you are a 5' tall, 100lb woman (no offense meant ladies) or like me, 6'6", 240lbs..EVERYBODY SPARS EVERYBODY. Period! On the street, are you going to have weight classes?

"Sorry buddy, I can't fight you..you're to big for me! So go ahead and rape me if you want, I won't resist!" HA! Right!

Karate is a HUGE equalizer.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dojo sucks...and listen to this...today i had to fight 2v1... a black belt and my stupid brother vs me... and guess waht... MY BROTHER was slow and he hit hard as hell and the black belt hit soft and was fast as hell so i couldnt move and i was getting killed... it finally stopped when the beast(my brother) punched me in the face and got disqualified...

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

my dojo sucks...and listen to this...today i had to fight 2v1... a black belt and my stupid brother vs me... and guess waht... MY BROTHER was slow and he hit hard as hell and the black belt hit soft and was fast as hell so i couldnt move and i was getting killed... it finally stopped when the beast(my brother) punched me in the face and got disqualified...

The key to fighting two people at once is work them against each other. Don't stand stationary, but rather...MOVE! Try to keep the worst fighter between you and the best fighter until you can take taht guy out, then it's just you and one other.

Another thing that has always worked good for me fighting multiple attacvkers is get in a corner. This has several advantages, such as limiting the direction they can come at you, and also allows you to lean in that corner so that you can use both hands and one leg constantly.

Of course you can come out of the corner if you want to for an attack, then retreat back to it.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

The key to fighting two people at once is work them against each other. Don't stand stationary, but rather...MOVE! Try to keep the worst fighter between you and the best fighter until you can take taht guy out, then it's just you and one other.

Another thing that has always worked good for me fighting multiple attacvkers is get in a corner. This has several advantages, such as limiting the direction they can come at you, and also allows you to lean in that corner so that you can use both hands and one leg constantly.

Of course you can come out of the corner if you want to for an attack, then retreat back to it.

actually sensei told me to move, but not to get in corners... beacause they lock me up and punch me till death

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

actually sensei told me to move, but not to get in corners... beacause they lock me up and punch me till death

I've had this discussion before with people, and without being there to demonstrate, it's not easy to describe.

Visualize yourself (go stand in a corner) in a corner..what directions can an opponent attack you from? Basically, a 90 degree angle...right? As compared to the middle of the floor where multiple opponents can attack you from 360 degrees, Right? So, you've cut down opponents angles of attack by 270 degrees. Sounds good to me so far.

OK, now you're thinking.."What if the guy does a flying kick at me while I'm in the corner?"

Easy..just like you would inb the middle of the floor (or hopefully you would anyway)..and that is MOVE MOVE MOVE!!! Get out of that corner by sliding along one wall or the other a bit (a foot or two is all that's needed), but not to far, because the corner can be the best friend you've got in a multiple fighter situation.

OK, you said the guy comes in and tosses multiple punches, one right after the other.

Simple. Lean back in the corner a bit for support..and use your legs! Now, assuming of course you have legs, they are no doubt longer than the average persons arms..right? And stronger, and you are solid while leaning against the wall, whereas your opponent isn't...kick the crap out of them when they come in.

What I do, and teach my students to do is this.

Lean slightly against the wall, stand on one leg with the other cocked at the knee (chambered and ready to kick) and have both hands up. You can use your shins to block kicks, along with your hands/arms, or also attack with all three of them.

Sure, it takes some practice, but my sensei taught it to me, and I've taught it to my students..and I use it quite a bit. To the point that if I'm sparring with my students and I go to the corner, they just back off and don't come at me because they know they're going to get bailed coming in.

• 2 weeks later...
we cant hit face, we cant hit from waist down, only torso. By the way i need some advice, i ALWAYS get to spar with my brother and ONLY him.

Sensei tells us to hit easy , and i do but he hits HARD!!!. he mostly wins because he charges at me uncontrolled and with full strength. sometimes, when the sensei starts the match i just front kick his stomach/front punch his chest for a 20 sec match which i win, but when we start fighting for a while , he kicks me , and i block and punch back but he stills get the point. Also, trying to control the attacks he launches at me is hard because they are so hard(not fast) i have to worry about not getting my lounges messed up by a string kick on the back. WHAT THE * SHOULD I DO??? i am now yellow belt and ive been training with my brother since white, i have NOT progressed on my sparring skills because he just dosnt * let me! so what should i do? (noone else will spar with me than by brother)

Here is what I would suggest- go to the instructor and eplain the above situation to him. Tell them you don't feel that you are learning anything from these sessions because of the situation. If the instructor cares about his students and really wants them to learn he will correct the situation at once by talking with your brother, controlling the sessions more closely, or by putting you with another partner. If the instructor doesn't want to correct the situation I would then suggest thinking about finding another school and instructor if possible. No sense in paying money and wasting time attending classes that you can't learn from. In short, all exercises, including sparring, should be used as methods to improve your knowledge and skill. If you aren't learning because of situations like you describe the instructor isn't doing their job, period. The fact that he doesn't make his students spar with other partners makes me think he doesn't want his students to learn anything. I should point out that this is only my personal opinion and you need to do what if right for you and only you.

As for the application of karate to self-defense, you already answered your own question. They do not allow head shots or below the waist shots, both of which are vital to real self-defense. Although groin shots need to be highly controlled in sparring drills but head shots while wearing gear is vitally important. It teaches you to protect your head and face which a "real" attacker will be aiming for out on the street. Sparring in general has little application to street self-defense. Kata has it's place and is important to the style or system that you study but like sparring it only has minor applications to self-defense. Also, what type of "self-defense" training do you practice in class? Do you practice defending yourself against the commonly seen street attacks such as wild roudhouse punches, shirt and lapel grabs, sucker punches, the fighters clinch, tackles, headlocks, bear hugs, etc.? If you answer no to this question then the particular school isn't focused on self-defense. A good portion of traditional arts that focus on self-defense will spend atleast 25-50% of their training time on self-defense. Those are the schools worth checking out if self-defense is a priority goal. If self-defense is your only goal I would suggest a more modern school devoted only to self-defense.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Personal Safety Unlimited

http://www.geocities.com/combatives

I like your tips Shorinryu sensei - i've heard the one about keeping the weaker one between you but not the fight in the corner thing. That's awesome.

I'm skeptical of 'dont kick above the waiste ever' since I used it in a situation - i didn't kick above the solar plexus but I kicked right at the solar plexus, the ribs, and the knee I didn't consciously think about doing it i just did it. I didn't think 'i won't kick above the waiste' I just wanted this person who was attacking me to get out of my face. I do understand the way it opens you up to groin attacks but when someone is charging you - besides stepping out of the way a nice front kick stops them dead.

I like your tips Shorinryu sensei - i've heard the one about keeping the weaker one between you but not the fight in the corner thing. That's awesome.

Thanks...most people have a hard time visualizing defending yourself while in a corner, but if they try it a couple of times, they find it works rather well.

I'm skeptical of 'dont kick above the waiste ever' since I used it in a situation - i didn't kick above the solar plexus but I kicked right at the solar plexus, the ribs, and the knee

Well..what we TEACH and what we do aren't always the same! lol I'm 6'6" tall with long legs. I do also kick to the ribs and solar plexus also with good effect, but we TEACH not to kick high because of the vulnerability of the groin during that process. But we never...never...NEVER head kick!

Some systems teach that the groin is not a target...why? In a self-defense situation, isn't EVERYTHING a potential target? It should be.

A TKD friend of my (instructor) told me they don't use the groin as a target because it was considered "dishonorable" to kick a man there.

HA! Give me a BREAK! lol With that attitude, I'd own his butt as soon as he lifted his foot off the floor! :D

haha dishonourable

the words honor and self defence...it makes me laugh

someone approaches you with a knife as you are unarmed, excuse me sir you are dishonouring your family by using that knife put it down right away

I'm only about 6'0 - I'm just used to using Mae Geris to stop a quickly advancing opponent. Kicking to the head I would never do in a real fight (or at least I hope i'll never do it) and I'd rather just go for the knees and thighs and groin but I find if i have to think about what i'm doing they usually end up being ineffective and slow.