• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate - Help SD at ALL??

Coco

Sparring without punches to the head or kicks below the waist has some negative impacts for A few reason.

A)one of the best targets in a real fight is somenes head..you should get good at hitting it.

B) the most practical kicks are kicks below the waist.

C) 99% of people in a street fight will be tryin to punch YOU in the head. It's a good idea to get used to that and get used to defending against it.

Your engraving some bad habits into your fight game.

You cant expect to train one way and rely on completly diffrent techniques under a stressful violent situation.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother and I started martial arts at the same time. He was 4 and I was 6. We would always end up sparring together, and I would straight murder him. I mean, I was a lot bigger than him. Sometimes, the instructor would pair us together. Other times, I would pick him as my partner, since I was way too much of a wimp to fight anyone else. I was really afraid of getting hit. I think my dad talked to my instructor or something. After that, I never sparred with my brother again until he was 13 and we both had black belts. Now, the kid's taller than me and he's actually really good. I've still got 20 lbs. on him, so I can usually beat him. The matches are very close now though. We actually try to avoid sparring each other though. He's the only person that I will spar full contact. When I say full contact, I mean we try to kill each other. It's no holds barred. When I fight full contact w/ other kids, I don't fight nearly as hard. My brother and I are usually pretty bruised after our matches. It’s funny we always start off sparring light contact, and it just devolves into this deathmatch. I guess we’ve got a lot of issues that we work by pummeling each other.

Anyway, my advice to you would be to talk to your instructor or get your parents to do so. Your brother's never going to get good if he keeps sparring you. I'm glad my dad talked to my instructor. Otherwise, I’d still be too scared to spar anyone else. Plus, you need to spar other people too, so you can get a feel for other people’s fighting styles. Plus, you can probably get some wins against other people.

TJS, I think those sparring rules are pretty reasonable, considering Coco is only a yellow belt. The rules will likely get less restrictive as she advances. TJS, are groin kicks fair game when you spar or just kicks to the legs?

I started training in a style with very limited sparring and target areas, after getting the living begeezus beat out of me once I started training in more open styles and have been much more successful in confrontations, just remember the old saying "train like you fight, fight like you train"

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

i ALWAYS get to spar with my brother and ONLY him.

20 sec match which i win, but when we start fighting for a while , he kicks me , and i block and punch back but he stills get the point.

There's two problems right there - you've got to spar with a variety of people, and IMO point sparring is absolutely useless! Maybe look around for a good traditional style dojo?

Point sparring is not entirely useless, unless it is the only form of sparring used.

Well ok, maybe I was overreacting a bit :D But it sounds like it's all this guy is using.

I would propose for discussion (maybe a new topic?) that point sparring actually can lower one's ability to free spar or street fight - pull back the blows, certain areas allowed etc....

What d'ya think?

I understand theres 2 things karate is used to.

1.Sport(thats why we point spar in my school)

2.Sd?

anyways, im screwed thanks anyways, somehow my teacher wont put me against noone else... o well

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)