• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate - Help SD at ALL??

Coco

Do you guys think karate techniques/katas/etc woruld help in a real life street fight? im currently yellow belt on shito ryu karate, will it help me on self defence AT ALL? or is it just a sport?

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you spar in your classes?

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

....Oh yeah, and unofficially...

KENJUTSU

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die." ~ Sima Yi

I think even doing sport MA training will improve your self defense skills somehwat. You at least learn how to hit. It would obviously be better if your instructor trained you for self defense situations. Many of the self defense tactics are too dangerous for sport. You might want to take up some grappling too.

If you Train Realistically. Do you do katas and point/touch sparring? or do you spar with limited rules and descent contact? Do you do Scenario drill's?

Sometimes it will actually decrease you self defense abilitys if the school is instilling False confidece and Useless techniques/training meathods.

i got karate 3 days a week and we spar every other wendsday, we do alot of kata , basics and technique though

Now studying BJJ(2006)

we cant hit face, we cant hit from waist down, only torso. By the way i need some advice, i ALWAYS get to spar with my brother and ONLY him.

Sensei tells us to hit easy , and i do but he hits HARD!!!. he mostly wins because he charges at me uncontrolled and with full strength. sometimes, when the sensei starts the match i just front kick his stomach/front punch his chest for a 20 sec match which i win, but when we start fighting for a while , he kicks me , and i block and punch back but he stills get the point. Also, trying to control the attacks he launches at me is hard because they are so hard(not fast) i have to worry about not getting my lounges messed up by a string kick on the back. WHAT THE * SHOULD I DO??? i am now yellow belt and ive been training with my brother since white, i have NOT progressed on my sparring skills because he just dosnt * let me! so what should i do? (noone else will spar with me than by brother)

Now studying BJJ(2006)