• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tekki and kicks?

Sho-ju

I was watching a link that has Funakoshi doing tekki but he doesn't use any mai geri at all. Does anyone know when they were added and by who? Is the mai geri better then the stomp? Does it change the rest of the kata if you are adding in a front mai geri?

http://www.kc-shotokan.com/kata/tekki1.htm

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There are no maegeri in Tekki nor in original Naihanchi. If you're doing them in your style, your style has added them. Only kicklike movements that Tekki and Naihanchi contain are namigaeshi and fumigeri - sweeps and stomping movements. Not all styles do these, either. In Okinawan versions the fumigeri are generally either very soft stomps or inexistent.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

We do Naihanchi and it has no mai geri's. As Jussi has said, it contains only sweeps and stomping movements. :karate:

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

The kick is a wave kick used to attack the groin, block a kick, or sweep the leg.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

We teach the move you are talking about Sai as a knee strike but I too have a book that showes it as a kick instead of a knee as well.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I find one of the most fascinating things about katas is the way that one move can be used in so many different ways. Tekki nidan is a very interesting kata when you take it apart.

I believe the group that does it as a front kick is a KUGB offshoot.

My shotokan sensei was from Scotland so that would make sense. Thanks.

I was recently told that the kick could be used as bunkai but that would depend on the attacks head height during the wrist lock from yoi.

Tekkis are the best kata...

The kick is a wave kick used to attack the groin, block a kick, or sweep the leg.

I don't think it's a kick to the groin. I'm not sure what your application is, but mine would be attacker in front of you, forearm strike to the face, then grab opponent (doesn't matter much where, both shoulders or shoulder and opposite side), kick to the inside of the knee causing a break or the opponent to buckle at least, then throw to the side (if they fall ove your leg great!)

IMHO, at least :)