• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu Kata reference source

Punchdrunk

Is there a clear Goju ryu kata reference available ala "Best Karate" for Shotokan?

No book or video will ever replace a fine instructor but it sure helps as a reference between classes when you are just learning basic movement.

We are primarily a fighting dojo so kata is not always as emphasized as a slow learner like me might require to gain proficiency. :-?

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have looked for those and you are right about them being "hard to find"

better put - PRICEY!

Anything a little more main stream like BEST KARATE?

Or is Goju Ryu just very closed about this sort of thing?

Pricey?

Try $200.00 per book and extremely limited availablity.

The videos cost approximatley $45.00 a piece and contain only one kata. I have never seen his videos on an auction site.

Thanks for the suggestion for the suggestion. They are obviously top of the line books and vids but I think I am looking for a much more basic back up resource.

Is anyone familiar with Don Warener's Goju Ryu books? I think they are a little more my price range but since I can't actually look at them I can't tell what their kata content is like.

Have you tried Teruo Chinen's videos? as much as I detest BB magazine I believe they carry them. I'm not a goju ryu stylist but I have the set and they contain all of the katas from Sanchin and Gekki sai dai ich up through Pichurin kata along with some of the bunkai. I thought they were very well done if a little basic. But, like I said, I'm not a Goju Ryu stylist.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.