• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sport Karate Team benefits...

stl_karateka

What are some of the benefits of being on a karate team? There's not much info out there about it. I realize some teams pay there top competitiors' tournament, hotel, and airfare fees.

What about coaching and training? Some of the big national teams aren't even from the same geographical area...do they have intense training camps or are they expected to keep it up on their own?

KarateForums.com Sempai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Karate team? Maybe you can go kicking people around the streets and solving crimes, and then maybe someone noteices you and invites u to compete, and then you win and then you just keep winning untill youre number one, yayyyyyy and then maybe you become rich and do a round house kick to the moon and eat the cheesee moon! yay!. im joking, but why would you wanna make your own karate team? your karate school should be your team....

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

I think he means teams like Team Paul Mitchell that compete in the ISKA tournaments, but on a smaller scale.

I'll move this to the Sport MA forum.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I think he means teams like Team Paul Mitchell that compete in the ISKA tournaments, but on a smaller scale.

I'll move this to the Sport MA forum.

Thanks monkeygirl --- that is what I meant (I being 'she') :)

I do mean teams like Paul Mitchell, Straight UP, SideKick, CJB etc

Take paul mitchell for example --- they have some of the best competitors out there --- they are all from different schools and work out on there own I'm sure --- so where does the team aspect come into play?

I would hope they have like intense karate seminars every so often...and I'd imagine their tournament fees are reduced if not fully covered...but this is all speculation -- I'd like to know for sure.

Kita

KarateForums.com Sempai

The main advantadge is the fact that when you are on a team like Team Paul Mitchell, is that your fees and travel are paid for. They are a sponsor for your group. Now keep in mind that sort of team is different than say a local school team, Team XYZ Martial Art school. In that case it is the best of your school competing in certain events. Some schools will foot the bill for the tournaments however your spoils go to the school.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

What about training? Do they do anything to help you get better? I mean, obviously you have to be good to get picked up for a team - and I'm sure they'll drop you if you don't keep up your training. But are their seminars, workshops etc? Or is the only time the team sees each other at a tournament?
KarateForums.com Sempai

What about training? Do they do anything to help you get better? I mean, obviously you have to be good to get picked up for a team - and I'm sure they'll drop you if you don't keep up your training. But are their seminars, workshops etc? Or is the only time the team sees each other at a tournament?

Good question. That I do not know. I am assuming that they train mostly with their individual schools and see each other at the tournaments and travel together for the tournaments. However, I could be wrong.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh