• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

perifial vision

so i've been watching this ninja cartoon lately... naruto, and its really been getting me pumped up to go and practice really hard again like i used to when i was little... (actualy more of just the music gets me pumped) so ive been trying to work on some of my areas that i think are kinda sloppy... one of them is my perifial vision... lately ive been doing a sertain traning where when i walk places... (like i do everywhere) and i walk by bushes i try to pick out one preticular leaf and pick it of once i pass it by... this is kinda easy though and i wondering if anyof YOU out there have any or know of any practicises form getting better side vison... cause it seems like it would be really good to have. like if i were in a crowd of ppl and a guy come from the far left and trys to attack me... (im not trying to be like one of the ninjas from naruto, i swear!) anyway thanks alot in advance for any help you can give!

Sono te wo watashi he to

Azukete me wo tojite

Mabuta ni kuchizukete

Itami wo iyashimashou

Nemuri nasai yukkuri to...

Ushinau kowasa wa dare mo onaji

Kanashimi mayoi mo tsutsumikomu

Chikarazuyosa kanjitai...

Arasou munashisa subete no hito

Kizukeba kagayaku hi wa noboru

Sono toki made shinobu kara...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

erle montague actually has some exercises for developing that, he calls it 'eagle vision' if i remember correctly...

i can't speak for the authenticity or effectiveness of his exercises but i know he addresses it in some of his material.

https://www.taijiworld.com

you'll have to look around for a while, as i can't recall where i read about his addressing the topic of peripheral vision. or you could possibly email him.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

• 2 weeks later...
Loren Christensen has som good exercises in his book Speed Training. One example is to have two people standing at 11 o' clock and 1 o' clock. You have to keep aware of each guy. Then one of them does something and you snap out a technique. I'm not sure if that's how he did it, but you get the idea. Buy the book!

To train in any martial arts correctly, one must enter into a specific state of mind/body that is totally centered.

Anthony Walmsley wrote an article first published in “Tai Chi International”

about this "eagle vision"

http://www.wau.it/haha/07articles.html Some very good "peripheral" training techniques are discussed in length

If you wish to learn more on pheriferic vison i remomend that you also learn more on Awareness. Best way it to practice it every day.

Like get a sidelook at someone and try to descrive his cloths from it, its extremely hard cause you have no focus on that angle of you field of vison so all things get verry foggy.

As for training to react to suden movement to pheriferical vision ..., lets just say you are bound to react faster to a shadow in the periferical vison than to someone walking up to you by your front side.

Its strange but its just like that, corner of vision react extremely fast to movement but front vision has more trouble to detect speed/movement like someone front/back walking to/from you unless you are in an atencion statte.

Only thing to do about your pheriferic vision is to train it everyday everytime. Mine is exelent but i dont wish you my training method.

Anyway i wonce ambushed a guy in the midle of the night, long time ago (reason dont matter), and he like normal people decided he and his friends would do the same to me as payback. So they started to hang at my doorsteep, decided to frequent a bar near my house and he lived like 500 metters from my house.

Has you can gess i become paranoid, but it did bring the advantage of extreme intense Awareness/Pheriferic vision/Sthelt training.

Anyway you cant always be ready for an attack, because you can never see with the back of your head. So i sujest you also learn a bit about situacional awareness. Its most common sense, like look at the people aroudn you and check for signs of distress.

Like people moving their head to look to somewhere, sudent change of facial expresion (can mean something is hapening behind you if the person field of vison extends to your back).

Learn how to look without being noticed, how to walk without making sound, how to walk in the shadows, how to use scenary to hide yourself (tree, parked cars, doorsteps, other persons) , how to smile in face of danger (dont giggle or do that nervose smile thinge that every person will understand has fear), how to go blank and face foward using only your side vision to gain info in the most strangest situations, etc

Anyway i got a bit off topic, but i would till like to add this, if you train to do a response to a phriferical vision stimule, meke it a dodge rather than a parry, after all it can be a man with a Baseball bat , a lead pipe, a Knife, or your sister carrying a expensive glass pitcher.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean "PERIPHERAL' vision? You should know how to spell what you want to train. Then you should look up the definition. Then you should read the rest of the dictionary. Then study some basic opthalmologic concepts. Then A&P. Yeah, you combative forumers need to check all those head shots! Brains is a necessary prerequisite for being a great warrior.

Phonetics works, for real...;)

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan