• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to deal with the kids class troublemaker?

push ups, and duck walk, one of my old instructors loved to make people do the duck walk,...squat down grab your ankles and waddle around the outside perimeter of the whole class room several times, and if you werent squatting he would add another lap to each time you got upright.....made your legs feel like rubber....fortunately i didnt have to do it much, only when i forgot upper level forms after years of being away in the military...but thats ok.....

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We usually get some behaviour challenged kids in class. As they are usually a junior class, they aren't really into sparring and usually do have other difficulties, of which the Sensei is made aware of from the parents.

The student is shown the correct way to act by having praise given to another student who is doing the right thing. It's amazing how the others try to get that attention by doing what they're supposed to.

For those students who vear off the track, we have "Mat Chat's" with them to help identify the wrong behaviour. It's done in a way so that it's not disciplining, but more of a self realization way; e.g. Hi Billy, you're trying very hard today, but do you know why I want to talk to you? Yes, you're talking is interrupting the other classmates and they can't learn when you're talking. What's the number one rule in the dojo, no talking when the instructor talks. O.k. Billy, what are you going to not do anymore? Great, you're looking awesome out there, keep trying hard."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, raisen your voice to him not to mesh around , make him face the wall, speak to their parents, or talk to him personnaly ask "whats wrong with your attitude".

Theres a kid about 12y of age he likes to run kick me, if am with a pretty girl, and he'd tries to show off but, he will lern his lessons when he gets older.

Our chief instructor teaches at several schools in the area, specializing in "difficult" kids. He has taught us to ask the kids questions that they have to answer positively. Such as "That's a nice kick Susy, but do you think you can kick a little higher?" We do play with the kids a lot, so when we have to crack down on bad behaviour, it usually startles the kid into instant compliance and if not, we bow the kid out of class. Be consistent in what you expect from the kids.

Obviously, with his parents getting divorced, your pupil is in a lot of turmoil, throwing him out of the school should be an absolute last resort. Maybe he would be better off with private lessons for a week or two to get back on track and give him the attention he is obviously craving. This would also be a good opportunity to reinforce discipline and behavior in a group class.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.