• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to deal with the kids class troublemaker?

First I make and example after talking to their mom or dad. Nothing like a sweep or 2 to break a kids pride and calm him down. Call it picking on them if you want but you must learn respect.

NOTE I only do that with kids I want to keep.

With ones I dont want to keep I tell them to hit the bricks. Refund if I must but I teach who I want to teach and who wants to learn. If they don't do it my way then its the highway.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get rid of the kid. People come to your lessons because you give them something they want. When you stop giving them what they want (a structured, disciplined environment for their child to get exercise and learn a skill) they'll leave.

Nobody likes to lose a student, but in the larger context of your school, how many students will you lose by NOT getting rid of him? He is a cancer in your class and must be removed before he sets a new trend for behavior in your other students.

We have to remember one thing here folks, not everyone should learn martial arts, some people are not mature enough and never will be. It is better to ask someone to leave your class than to have a student from your school hurt someone misusing what you taught them. Knowing how this child acts in class I don't see how you can expect him not to use what he learns in an inappropriate manner outside of the dojo. I personally have had to ask a childs parents to remove a child from class, (this inspired his parents to go to a psych Dr., he was put on ritalin and was able to return to class and become one of my better behaved students!) asking someone to leave is always difficult, but as was stated before, its better to lose 1 than 5 or 6, and remember other parents will see this little hellion and may see it as your failure to control your class and lack of professionalism, when it is not your fault. I hope this helps. :)

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I think CloudDragon said it best here. Not everyone is cut out to learn. Let him go for a week and if doesn't get better get rid of him. You could also try talking to the parents. That works some times. Although I had a parent tell me that that was the reason that he brought his kid to me was to teach him discipline. I explained that if there wasn't at least a foundation from home to work with I couldn't help him. People amaze me most of the time.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Yeah, I can't stand it when parents ask you to discipline their child. A word to all you parents out there: NEVER EVER DO THAT!!

It puts the instructor in a very, very difficult place. Oftentimes, the instructor will know EXACTLY what they WANT to do to discipline the child, what tactics they would use if it were completely up to them. But the fact of the matter is this: it isn't up to the instructor. Perhaps in the time of monks and monasteries, martial arts could be used to instill discipline (and a lot of that had to do with the fact that many of the monks started training since they were very young children), but in today's sue-happy world, it just won't happen.

Sometimes you have to scare a kid to get him to listen. I'm not suggesting anything abusive, but most bratty kids have a difficulty with respecting authority, so you have to let them know who's boss. You would also have to be very, very harsh, in extreme cases (yes, I have seen an extreme case or two, and no...I don't mean my brother and I :P ); this harshness could even bring the kid to tears. I don't care how bratty the kid is, I've never seen a parent that is willing to see their child cry from another person's hands/dealings for the sake of discipline.

So, the parents may SAY they want you to discipline their child...but they probably won't agree with your tactics. You may wonder: "Why would you have to be so harsh on the kids? Isn't there a better way to discipline children than through tough love?" Yes, there is...but if a parent is asking YOU to discipline THEIR child, the kid is too far gone for nicey-nice discipline. The worst part is that it's truly the parents' fault. Excluding emotional trauma and mental handicaps, a child can only be bratty because his parents allowed him to be.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 5 months later...

It's hard because somtimes parents too should be disciplined :)

You are too good to the little bratt and they'll call you incompetent. Too severe and probably you'll get sued.

I go for expelling the problem kid. I'm not responsible for his life if he's not willing to cooperate. I don't want distraction in my class, I don't my other students to suffer (do push ups because of him or being bullied by the person). I think first thing would be talking to his parents, banning him for a period and than letting him go. I don't teach something to a person that doesn't want that. Maybe he's there because of his parents. I don't want to proplongue his misery. If you train in MA it means you like it and that's what you want. If not, there are millions of things to do :karate:

1. Come up with a specific plan for your student.

2. Discuss with mom and dad before class and outline the problem as you see it.

3. Implement plan with consistency and support from parents.

4. Kid behaves, everyone wins or you boot him/her. At least you gave the child and parent a fair shake. Either way, I'm sure your other students and parents will appreciate your efforts.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

It's hard because somtimes parents too should be disciplined :)

Yep, and that is much harder to do :D

Every case is different. Different kids act out for different reasons, there is no one miracle solution.

If all else fails suspensions and bannings come in.

Never had to kick a kid out for their behaviour. Parent once though...

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!