Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dojo kun are not a set of beleifs. If you or anyone else thinks they are, then they are misleading themselves. They are suppose to be modes of conduct for karate. Except all those great karate teachers who have them in their books and what not, do not even follow them. IF they did there would not be so much back stabbing.

If I think they are * that is my right. Not only that if I decide to write them my opinion here it is fine. I have not attacked you personally.

I ave attacked the idea of using the dojo kun as means of a moral system. It is total *.

I see no disrespect. In fact, I hope that I have opened the eyes of some.

You are born again christian that is fine. Please tell me how that even relates to this topic? Yet again, lets not go there. Your personal beleifs are fine.

The dojo kun are not commandments. IF you break one of them there is no sin comitted in terms of karate. So they are not beleifs. Anyone doing such IMO is bordering cult like behavior.

Disrespectful? No. Harsh truth? Yes.

Because I said so, and I am that damn good.

I just wanted to know what you thought of a more current translation of the kun, it's just that simple.

Sorry, but we gave you our opinion of the dojo kun. I care for neither translation.

IF you want to know the second translations is better than the first, but both are *

Sorry to double post

Because I said so, and I am that damn good.

Karate is a SPORT based upon an Asian fighting system. quote]

Maybe your style is, some are clearly not. I feel it is your loss, but to each their own....

They all are sport. At least to some extent. We are not Samaurai warriors fighting for the Shogun. I did not say that our techniques are

ineffective by any means. I have no doubt what so ever that if I hit something it will hurt. :o If you all rember Master Funakoshi was a school teacher and he designed his karate training system for school children and everyday civilians not warriors. :-? We tend to place too much creedence in the mythology of the arts and not enough into the facts.:idea:

MA can be under the right instruction a good form of SELF DEFENSE as for

combat Ill take an assault rifle instead. :brow:

AS for the issue of what style anyone takes .... that is irrelevant,

Gojo is not anymore deadly than Shotokan, TKD, JKD, or any of the others. Unless of course anyone can fly through the air and catch bullets in their teeth. :roll:

It would be foolish to overestimate ones abilities and training and have a false sense of security. It can get you killed..........

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Karate is a SPORT based upon an Asian fighting system. quote]

Maybe your style is, some are clearly not. I feel it is your loss, but to each their own....

They all are sport. At least to some extent. We are not Samaurai warriors fighting for the Shogun.

Nope - still don't agree. there is a wide range between being a Samurai and doing sport karate. How about those who train for spiritual purposes? Or just love kata? Or want to be as good a fighter as they can, even if it is meaningless in real-life situations? If you want to substitute another word for sport? Maybe I'm missing your meaning?

• 2 months later...

IMHO point of view is very important. You can take to heart whatever philosophy you choose but don't fool yourself. Knowing Karate forms, blocks, attacks, katas, etc is one thing but "Learning" Karate means that you learn about yourself as well and it just isn't enough to call Karate a sport because it is not.

Please don't take that to be a flame. I respect your opinion as I hope you respect mine. But I believe that Karate is a way of life; To demean it by calling it a mere sport is cause for regret.

On another point, however, I agree with Sho-ju in that religion does not necessarily need to be applied with Karate in general. Yes there is a factor of spirituality, but that is definitely something I'm not exactly qualified to debate about at this point in my life, especially since I cannot speak for others.

Anyway, those are my two pennies.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

IMHO point of view is very important. You can take to heart whatever philosophy you choose but don't fool yourself. Knowing Karate forms, blocks, attacks, katas, etc is one thing but "Learning" Karate means that you learn about yourself as well and it just isn't enough to call Karate a sport because it is not.

Please don't take that to be a flame. I respect your opinion as I hope you respect mine. But I believe that Karate is a way of life; To demean it by calling it a mere sport is cause for regret.

On another point, however, I agree with Sho-ju in that religion does not necessarily need to be applied with Karate in general. Yes there is a factor of spirituality, but that is definitely something I'm not exactly qualified to debate about at this point in my life, especially since I cannot speak for others.

Anyway, those are my two pennies.

Very well said, Cathal! I couldn't agree more. I think one must have the right style to begin with, and then spend a certain length of time with it, to get the feeling that you appear to have. (and I) Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Makoto, not to start an arguement but if your planning on getting anywhere in karate the Dojo Kun is what you should model yourself on. I can assure you that the people who made it followed it. Perhaps further down the line in you training you will learn more about the Traditional side of karate.

David Steel

Shodan

Okinawan GoJu Ryu Karate-Do

SGKA

David Steel

Shodan

Okinawan GoJu Ryu Karate-Do

SGKA - IOGKF - OTGKA

" Never was a greater mistake made than he who did nothing because he could only do a little" - Edmund Burke