• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Scary instructor

Sibylla

I can relate to what Sauzin is saying; my instructor is very good in his art, and that is important to me. And I don't want to quit, I want to cope..

As for talking to him out of class...if I find the right opportunity and setting, maybe...I'll have to cover it up in some flattering egomassage, I suppose. :brow:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hey, one of my trainers is excactly the same kind of *. He´s fat, violent and screams a lot. Luckily he doesn´t train us very often, only like once a month or something. I hated him at first sight.
Shukokai Karate, Orange belt ( 7. kyu)

I thought one of my instructors was a total * when he first started teaching classes at our do-jang. Everyone, for the most part, hated him. He was actually a pretty nice guy when you got to know him. He just demanded a lot from his students. He didn't have much patience for kids who didn't give their all. He was very serious about his art. He didn't want to waste time on students who weren't. I respect him for that. He's definitely one of the best instructors I've had. Since he demanded more than other instructors, I had to step up my game to meet his expectations.

I don't believe any ego massage is required. Just be straight and to the point. The old adage "Honesty is the best policy" works well here. Tell him your concerns and see what he has to say. Good luck.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I feel that if you are in a good style with a good instructor, just stick with it, it'll be worth it. Otherwise, get out and find both of the above. Some of the more traditional styles still teach traditionally so maybe this is it? Anyway, old style karate is the real thing and people that want modern touchy feely stuff should look elsewhere (IMHO)