• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

over 46 years old. any one else?

Im 51 year old and have been at kempo 1 year achieving purple belt. My next goal if to ge to green in next 12 months. Next youngest in my school is 38 yrs old. oftentimes I get a sense of being out of place and just plain ridiculous. I pretty much hold my own in kumite. Wonder if there are any other aficionados my age(or therabouts) or does any one have any students in their class who is an aarp member?I Truly love the M.A is their a masters type division?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 50 and have been training for 10 years. I'm convinced that the training, exercising and especially the stretching has helped slow the aging process. My flexibility and reflexes are as good as if not better than most of my friends that are in their mid-thirties.

Stick with it. At our age the first year is the most difficult, especially if you haven't been doing any exercise. My advise to anyone in their forties or fifties that is just starting out is ... TAKE IT SLOW. If you overdue it right from the start you risk injury that at this "advanced" stage of life takes longer to heal.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

pmhi . thanks for feedback. For years ive been working out with weights (light type) though Im not particularly thick Ive found that at 51 they made my form somewhat rigid and jerky. I took shotokan in my late 20s.I find that , like you point out the stretching is paramount.

I'm 45 and have a green+stripe in Kenpo and I feel much fitter and have more energy than I did a few years ago. The more I progress and train the better I feel although my recovery is slower than it used to be when I was a dan in Soo Bahk Doo some 15 years ago.

Keep up the good work.

Don't Stop, Don't ever Stop its much Harder to start again!

pmhi . thanks for feedback. For years ive been working out with weights (light type) though Im not particularly thick Ive found that at 51 they made my form somewhat rigid and jerky. I took shotokan in my late 20s.I find that , like you point out the stretching is paramount.[/quote

I think the ageing process makes us siffer and maybe a bit less smooth in our movements moreso than any light weight traing we may engage in. Correctly done light weight training will aid in flexibility.

Im experimenting with how best to incorporate weights.It s provably ok ifI can adapt them .Instead of jerking them up and down with grunts I try to keep them about 50 % of my max and use flowing motion. Extending and retracting at same time. just as with basic motions of blocking and striking.Thanks for turning me on to the over 40 set. Dont see recet posts there though.