• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sweeps?

aznkarateboi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I did judo to help with sweeps and takedowns. I like to jam mawashi geri's with my shoulder and then sweep. If someone is using a mae geri I try to allow the kick to just miss me then sweep the supporting leg.

I use the bottom of my foot to sweep like in judo, but if the guy is being a jerk then I go shin to shin. Timing is very important when sweeping, timing is the sweep. If you try and sweep a leg that is planted, no such luck. Try to catch him coming in. In judo we would take a grip (one hand on lapel the other on the gi by the elbow) then we would walk around the dojo and not look at each others feet. After a short while you will be able to tell by body motions when a person is stepping in. It's like sticky hands in wing chun.

Another way is to throw attacks to jodan and never stop sweeping with your feet. Step in deep after an attack and aim a low gedan mawashi across the back of the legs. (only do these sweeps with mats, OSU!)

Sho-ju

aka the Broom

Depends on the sweep but to have a good sweep its more about timming than anything else.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

for a normal(the most common) sweep, u travel ur foot in a circular path, right? which part of their foot do you hit, and which part of your foot do you hit with

I use the bottom (sole) of my foot. I try and scoop the foot upward...it's in the timing.