• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am trying to find out some information on the Monkey King Staff routine from the Hung Gar system. I would like to find out the level of difficulty of the routine and what the form focuses on as a whole ie if it places emphasis on striking, blocking, acrobatics, etc. Thanks for any information anyone can provide on the subject.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 months later...
Level of difficulty: 5

CloudDragon,

From your profile i don't see anything to do with Hung Gar or any other Southern China style of kung fu.So why do you feel that the level of difficulty is a 5?

searcher,

I can say for sure that the form does not focus on acrobatics.There is no flash or show type forms in Hung Gar.Hung Gar is a very applicable no non sense style.If you're looking for something with more acrobatics? I would say look into the Northern Shaolin (Bak Sil Lum) Monkey staff form.

I notice that you are a instructor.Are you looking to teach some traditional chinese martial arts weapons forms for tournaments? I've noticed this alot lately.There is nothing wrong with it. I just think that alot of times karate ppl pick the wrong forms to use.While i think the Hung Gar king monkey staff form fits well for karate.You need to understand Hung Gar's theories to properly perform the form.

If you're still interested?

I have the form on several videos. I could send it to you through instant messenger.

In fact here's a look at what a Southern China staff form looks like.This is a Lee Gar staff form.One of four staff forms we have in Black Tiger.In case you're not aware? Black Tiger and Hung Gar are sister styles.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/shaolinblacktiger/images/Lee_Gar_Gwun_.wmv

Just go to the video section and it's the second video.

jeff :)

The Basics Are The Hidden Secret To Kung Fu Master The Basics.

• 2 weeks later...
Would appreciate any leads on video or DVD of Taming the Tiger (Gung Gee Fook Fu).

Xie Xie

I have this on video from Wing Lam Enterprises. It's a good video that breaks the form into sections and provides applications. Visit https://www.wle.com and look in the Hung Gar section. I believe it's VHG03. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It does but it's not as flashy as the one you may be familiar with.

Correct!!

jeff :)

The Basics Are The Hidden Secret To Kung Fu Master The Basics.