• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tradition in European/Ocidental Muay Thay

I think that Muay Thay outside Thailand has a lack of tradition... With this I'm saying that it's all about training and fighting... we don't study things like the "Wai-Kru" the ritual and boxing dance that is done in Thailand by every competitors, we don't learn more about the Muay Thay traditions and philosophy like in other Martial Arts and I think that it's very important to learn these things. And the same happens with Kick Boxing

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well that really depends on where you train. In my Muay thai test there is usually a section about thai vocabulary and history. As far as Wai Kru and Ram Muay I agree with you, although I know them I never do it at a fight.

The real problem is many promoters here don't want fighters to take the time out of the schedule to perform them. I have been told more than once NOT to perform a Ram muay and some tournaments only allow sealing the ring!

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^

• 2 weeks later...
frankly and no offense, i couldnt care any less about a muay thai dance and things like that. im not knocking anyones interest in it for posterities sake or whatever, i just wanna fight so thats what id wanna spend my time doing. different people different goals i guess.

a broken arm throws no punches

• 3 weeks later...
If you are studying Muy Thai you should study everything!!!! The differences I've seen between traditional teachers (usually from Thailand) and Western teachers are extreme. The traditional teachers insist on respect first and foremost. Respect for the culture, the technique, the gym and the master. The western teachers usually only care that you pay them on time. If you are going to dedicate so much time to an art form you should really know what the heck you're learning and why.