• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why is Shotokan so unpopular ? Can it be used in real life ?

goedikey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't people like it because it takes time.

We live in a fast paced world where people want results now!!! MMA is the rage of the age. I want to fight in 2 hrs. I don't care what I learn or if I better myself.

People don't like what they don't understand and Shotokan takes a long time to understand. Its a very deep art. On the surface you see the traditional view but the deeper and deeper you dig the more SD you find. Again it takes time but you grow as you develpe this because most of what you find is based upon your personal understanding not what you are taught.

Stick with Shotokan its a very popular art and loved by many who study it. Some MMA don't like it but they do respect it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Thank you all for your replies !

I dont really care about the time it takes...

i am mostly concerned about the usefullness of my learnings in a real life fighting situation that involves an experienced street fighter !

We live in a fast paced world where people want results now!!! MMA is the

People don't like what they don't understand and Shotokan takes a long time to understand. Its a very deep art. On the surface you see the traditional view but the deeper and deeper you dig the more SD you find. Again it takes time but you grow as you develpe this because most of what you find is based upon your personal understanding not what you are taught.

I couldnt agree more. It is a strong powerful art. Yes, it does take time to really be effective. I feel I really did not start to understand what I was doing until I reached Brownbelt. You will find in time that it has very powerful blocking and punching techniques which would surely help against the average drunk. :P

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I don't even care If my style is unpopular The only thing i care about is all of are student are happy!!!

Kenshukai is very friendly too..

Oh shotokan is not unpopular i herad about the style 10 years ago just enjoy the lesson like me.

Enjoy your lesson and when you become brown belt you relize you are getting wiser and stronger.....bye

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

I now it has been said before, but its all about what you put into your training. Shotokan has its good points and weak points just like any other martial art. If I was to say anything negative about shotokan it would be that their long stances apperantly is bad for your knees in the long run. I could be wrong offcourse..

Read a book!

If you put you heart in it ,when you going to need it,it will be there for you. I don't belived in one style better than the other one ,you can pratice which ever style, but if you don't put your heart in it your are loosing your time.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

Why is Shotokan so unpopular ?

I didn't know it was. I do Kenpo and Taiji, but I have a lot of respect for Shotokan.

Can it be used in real life ?

I've only spared a couple of Shotokan guys, one with hard contact. They could take care of themselves- on the mats and, I'm sure, on the street.

Don't worry about what someone else thinks about what you do. If you enjoy it and it is good training, keep at it. Later on don't be afraid to step out and spar with other styles. It will give you a whole new perspective on what you are learning. You'll see areas that need more work, others that work well will give you confidence. And you'll see that there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm guessing that Shotokan would be an excellent base if you want to branch out later and learn something else. Or it would be a good style to devote your life to. Everyones journey is different, so don't listen to those who try to sell you on 'The One True Path'.

Freedom isn't free!

Shotokan is one, if not, of the best arts ever created, but it as said by G95champ a very deep art, and it takes a lot of time to even understand. If leart correctly shotokan is very effective in real life fights.

and "Superleeds".......altough shotokan may have some pretty long stances, it wont be bad for your knees if you do them correctly, since they are developed so that your knees are pointing forwards, which meens you wont harm your knee. People harm their knees because they are pointing their knees sidewards, which meens that you will try to bend your knees a little the wrong way.

(sorry if my english suck)

Never think that Karate is practiced only in The Dojo. The entire world is a Dojo, and true Karate training takes place twenty-four hours a day.

/Gichin Funakoshi Sensei