• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Open Martial Art Tournaments

Although I do prefer open tournaments, I agree that sometimes the divisions/classes/categories (call 'em what you will!!) are often wierd and hard to fathom.

I went to one tournament once where there were a lot of competitiors, yet in my kata category there were only me and 2 other women, but there was a very similar kata category that was jam-packed with female competitors, some of whom were the same grade as me. The categories just seem to have been thought up at random, especially the ones for fighting.

If you manage to get to a well-organised open tournament, though, it can be a lot more interesting. Plus, you get to show all the other martial artists that your style kicks butt!! LOL :lol: :D :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's interesting reading your comments people.

Here in Montana (I know, the "STICKS!") they run the open tourneys this way.

All black belts, and limited borwn belts, are considered judges, as long as they have judging experience (in their own dojo counts).

There are no weight classes at all. Are there on the street? :brow:

Divisions are broken down by age groups, and belts are broken down into under one year, over one year but under black..and then black belts. So yes, there is a huge descrempency in belt levels, but so many systems have so many different color belts, how do you just say "blue to brown belt"?

There are womens divisions, but if there are only 1-3 participants in that division, they are asked (not required) if they would liek to compete with the men. Normally, they will opt to do this (bravo for them!) and they do quite well.

Contact at these tourneys is light to the head and medium allowed to the body. Rules are STRICTLY enforced, and excessive/intentional contact will get you disqualified IMMEDIATELY with no refund.

I've been a kata judge and kumite referree at these tournaments since 1980, and they seem to be working out just fine.

As for the comment about one school bringing tons of black belts and they always win because of it..that wouldn';t work here because as soon as somebody started complaining that judges were being unfair, the promoter would watch that ring, and if needed, dismiss an judges demed as unfair or biased.

We generally try to have 4 corner judges for sparring and one center referree. Every effort is made to assign as many different judges from as many different systems to that ring. Ideally, with 5 judges, they will all represent different systems. The same goes with kata. 5 judges/5 different systems.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"