• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Open Martial Art Tournaments

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. My apologies if it is in the wrong place.

I have limited martial arts experience but I feel competition is a very important part of MA training (especially mixed, or cross-training). The art I may take up (I'm limited to what's within 5 miles from me, because I'm 15 almost 16 and can't drive, which brings up another question.) an effective art (IMO) but it offers little to no competition.

So, I am wondering if there's such a thing as "Open Martial Art Tournaments" where people from (*basically) any style can participate and if so, is there a web site I could visit and read more info on it?

Also, again I'm 16 years old, would I be able to enter such competitions? With parents permission on paper/attendance?

Thanks!

:karate:

*Not including moves/arts that are VERY dangerous of course, LOL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, there is open tournaments. I've been to a few. I've been to two closed tournies (allows just one style/school). I do like the open ones better.

Usually when you enter a tourny, you would sign up with/through your instructor (at least that's how I did it). Usually your instructor would have the details. I also started martial arts at 24, so I don't know how a minor would go about signing up for a tourny.

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been to a couple of TKD ONLY tournaments as a spectator, and to be honest with you, Open Tournaments are FAR superior!

Why? Because you're competing not just within one system, but with ALL systems possibly represented, including TKD.

Since I don't know what state (or country?) you're in, I don't know what's available in your area, but I would think open tournaments should be available just about anywhere.

As for your age being a factor, in the open tournaments I've gone to, there have been kids as young as 4. Of course your parents have to sign a waiver for you to participate, but adults have to sign one too.

Good luck, and keep training! :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• 4 weeks later...
yes there are open tournament. Another thing to remember when competing is to make sure you know the rules before you go. Some tournaments allow full contact some allow light but comtrolled...and so on. Another aspect to look at is which fighting style it is, Continuous fighting or point fighting. You'll need to know this for training for an open tournament. Your parents will have to sign a waiver form usually for any tournament. Good luck in finding a tournament in your area.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. You guys are lucky. Here in Canada there are next to no tournaments. Maybe 5 mediu-large size tournaments in the entire country throughout the year. Now and then there are smaller ones but they are always inter-dojo tournaments which you cannot enter unless you are a member of an invited dojo and that dojo selects you to participate. Unless you belong to one of those dojo you will likely never even know the tournament was taking place.

In Canada you pretty much don't get to fight unless you sign up to compete in amature boxing or kickboxing and belong to a club that will find sanctioned fights for you.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Open tournaments are better than ones for just one MA or branch of a particular MA. I've been to quite a few open tournaments and I prefer them to ones where the competition is just karate, or even just shotokan. There's a lot more variety and they're more interesting I think.

The only trouble with tournaments in the UK is finding out about them. The biggest ones are advertised in the martial arts magazines we have in this country, but it can be a real pain in the @ss trying to find out about smaller tournaments. :(

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I've been to only one open tournament, but it wasn't a great experience. In order to accomodate all styles and schools, the sparring rules were insane...no head contact!! The other problems were less general and had more to do with the way it was run (my division was very small -- me and another girl -- whereas the boys' equivalent was huge; the blackbelt division was 14 & under which meant two 14-yo's vs. two 8-yo's; judges weren't certified...every black belt that arrived was a judge, so the school with the most blackbelts had a huge advantage; etc etc).

It's a very nice concept...being able to meet and compete against practitioners of many styles. I wish I could have found a good one when I was in my "heyday". Now, I'm out of training, and it'll take me a good six months (at least) to be good enough to compete again. :(

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.