• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slim - thanks alot, that was a huge help to me. I'm also gonna talk to my Sensei to help me out with my strategy. Kicker - yes, she's been kickboxing longer than I have and she outweighed me by about 50lbs or so, so yeah I definately had my work cut out for me... :grin:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lori! :wave:

I think we've all been intimidated at one time or another in sparring.... and that is what it is-- intimidation. Sparring is also "mental" ... you need to prepare physically of course but then again you also have to prepare mentally. Look into your opponent's eyes...look strong...FEEL strong (even if you are a bit intimidated). Go in headstrong....and WATCH...very important to study that certain someones sparring techniques and find their weakness...and act on it!

I have to laugh... :wink:

1st Deg. TaeKwonDo Black Belt/Fitness Kickboxing

(Moderator of Health & Fitness Forum)

It is when the student approaches black belt that the serious student discovers that he has only just begun his study of Karate

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-10-15 07:18 ]

Glad it helped. Good point from Kickchick there, if you can fool her by drawing and feinting you can regain controll of the fight. if you can fustrate her she loses controll. Its good for us leaner faster people if the opponant has more brute strength.

From Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do:

Feinting is the characteristic of the expert fighter. It requires using the eyes, the hands, the body and the legs in a single effort to deceive the opponant. These movements are really decoys and if the opponant attempts to adjust his defense, the expert takes advantage of the openings created. Feinting is also used to ascertain what the opponant's reaction will be to each movement.

Warning: not to be confused with fainting!! :lol:

oh okay kickbutt you better find her weakness or weak point!! :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

• 4 weeks later...

Kickbutt I just wandered into this forum for the first time. I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I think we all wonder if anyone ever else has the same problem.

I appreicate many of the responses that have been given. I will give thought and trial to those I can.

I do have a technique that sometimes really does happen accidentally. I step on their feet in the process of trying to step forward. (I really do have a bit of a problem with knowing exactly where they are in space sometimes)

We have a girl who beats the daylights out of the black belts using the same techniques you are describing kickbutt. She uses her size against them. Your post has made me more aware of watching her so that I can learn what works best against her. I have to spar with her too sometimes.

Hi Sai, good to see you in this forum :grin:. I've definately learned alot through sparring..that's the whole reason for doing it isn't it? I find that I'm too competitive and that I just want to win - I have since learned that it isn't a competition and that just because I lose doesn't necessarily mean that it's a total loss because I came away with more knowledge than before I started. The last time I sparred in class, I found that if I didn't back up and became more the aggressor that it works - and it did work like a charm! Any tips you may have would also be appreciated Sai!

Lori :pony:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

Hmmm, not back up. Good idea Kickbutt. One test I will never forget, I had to spar with someone I thought was really trying to kill me. She just kept coming and coming. I had not been sparring very long at the time. I had no idea what to do then.

I just kept throwing high front kicks to make her back off a bit. Turned out she had not had anyone throw kicks that high at her that much. I will never forget that test. Next test I was ready for her.

Good idea Sai. If your opponent is aggressive and likes to punch, just sidekick him/here and keep them on distance.

Have no fear in front of your opponent

[ This Message was edited by: Bruce__L on 2001-11-15 16:28 ]

Danh

Shotokan Karate/Kickboxing and My own style

Have no fear in front of your opponent