• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Groin kicks during Sanchin?

Goju1

We get the kicks to the groin, if your sanchin dachi is correct, then your inner thighs will stop the kick.....we also get all the other slaps, punches, pulls, and pushes while performing the kata.....usually only done during testing and demos. :karate:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We do shime testing on a regular basis during Sanchin kata, groin kicks are not a part of this testing. Shime is used to test the tenseness of the muscles during the kata. As far as Tensho goes, it is strictly a goju kata (since it was created by Miyagi Chojun), but I don't know if any other styles have adopted it or any variation.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

Our sensei kicks at us but very slowly so he wont hit us but it will show if our knees are close enough

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Sanchin and Tensho are two of my favorite kata (and most practiced,)

Ive been doing them every day for around 4years now.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Ah yes, Sanchin .. Love that kata. Yes my instructor does test us to make sure that we are in a good stance. He also tests the arms, thighs, neck stomach, back.. For our BB tests, he likes to get the bamboo sword out and have some fun. But there is also emphasis on the breathing techniques that accompany the kata. I actually use this kata as a warm up to sparring when I'm at competitions. I like it. It gets all my muscles warmed up.

In Uechi we generally keep a pretty wide Sanchin, a little wider than the shoulders, so it is not really possible to keep the knees that together anyway.

In Uechi-Ryu the feet should be exactly shoulder width apart and the heel of the forward foot should be inline with the toes of the rear foot and angled out at a 45. then you drop the hips and press the knees toward eachother. If you are doing a proper Uechi-ryu sanchin dachi it should protect the groin from the front and rear. In black belt testing in okinawa this is tested depending on the instructor doing the hitting.

In Uechi-Ryu the feet should be exactly shoulder width apart and the heel of the forward foot should be inline with the toes of the rear foot and angled out at a 45. then you drop the hips and press the knees toward eachother. If you are doing a proper Uechi-ryu sanchin dachi it should protect the groin from the front and rear.

I agree! :)

hara wo neru

Does the Sensei sneak up behind and attempt a kick to the groin during Sanchin to see if your stance is correct? Just got this thought while on the other post about stances. This is a sure way to make sure you are in correct Sanchin - Dachi :o

Also, does he/she slap your back, test muscle tension in other places?

2 things-

First, sanchin testing is typical in goju, sneaking up isn't. Also, the kick shouldn't actually be a kick, but swinging the shin up to the bottom of the gi. There should not be impact on the groin area. The lower the rank, the slower the test. And yes other parts are tested. First, through easy pokes and slaps, later through punches. The punch should be geared to what the physical conditioning of the student can handle and should never be so hard as to be abusive. However testing should NEVER include punches to the kidneys.

Second- Since you belong to the IOGKF, buy your instructor a copy of Higaonna's old Sanchin tape (White with green lettering) off ebay. In it he says that the tests should never be done as a surprise but you should let the student know you'll be testing through several physical keys.

Sorry but sneaking up on someone, even dan ranks is macho B.S. :kaioken: