• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Groin kicks during Sanchin?

Goju1

Does the Sensei sneak up behind and attempt a kick to the groin during Sanchin to see if your stance is correct? Just got this thought while on the other post about stances. This is a sure way to make sure you are in correct Sanchin - Dachi :o

Also, does he/she slap your back, test muscle tension in other places?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone do the 'soft' breathing kata, "Tensho"? Or is that a Goju Ryu kata only? I know it was taken from southern chinese styles to emphasise the 'Ju' or soft part of Goju and balance out the practice of Sanchin.

If so, do you notice the applications of movement from many of your katas in this one?

I feel the blocking sequence from this kata is great karate and very effective in self defense - opinions?

As goes for Sanchin, my Sensei does not test with a straight leg groin kick to see if your knees are together enough. He believes in solid stances, and does not think that pulling the knees in does much good. I am inclined to agree. In Uechi we generally keep a pretty wide Sanchin, a little wider than the shoulders, so it is not really possible to keep the knees that together anyway.

My Sensei does test our arms in sanchin, he punches to the stomach and chest, low kicks to thighs and calfs, high roundhouse or punches to the lat, double strike to the traps (neck), and he often stands on the calf of our back foot at the end.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

I have always hated Sanchin. :evil:

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

Yup. Still do it, still hate it.

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

• 2 months later...

I never saw the guys getting kicked -- I doubt my instructor would have done that too the girls.

He does test the tensioin by kicking the legs, punching the stomach, hitting on the arms --- this is to all the brown and black belts (not the blue belts that are just learning) --- I didn't mind that though -- the worst was the resistance

Like during the slow punches when you are supposed to be so grounded, he would put his hand in front of the punch and we had to do the move...ie move his hand....BUT --- when he took it away if you fell forward or your hand lurched forward you were wrong. THAT was the hard part!

KarateForums.com Sempai

As goes for Sanchin, my Sensei does not test with a straight leg groin kick to see if your knees are together enough. He believes in solid stances, and does not think that pulling the knees in does much good. I am inclined to agree. In Uechi we generally keep a pretty wide Sanchin, a little wider than the shoulders, so it is not really possible to keep the knees that together anyway.

My Sensei does test our arms in sanchin, he punches to the stomach and chest, low kicks to thighs and calfs, high roundhouse or punches to the lat, double strike to the traps (neck), and he often stands on the calf of our back foot at the end.

I am unsure of other Goju groups but ours has stopped using the pigeon toed, knee together type stance. The stance we use now is quite natural. Both feet facing forward about shoulder width. The knees are bent and the hips are pulled upward. The groin is still protected because of the position of the hips and the big thigh muscles will protect that you.

When we are tested we are not slapped our instructors squeeze our muscles to feel the tension.

There is a reason they dropped the slapping/ punching but I am unsure as to what it was.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• 1 year later...

We preform Sanchin 4 different ways. We either practice three different ways in class, soft, medium, and hard (which is a different story) or we do the Sanchin body checking. I'm a girl and they do check between the knees ... Other than that they check different areas of the legs, arms, stomache, back, shoulder area, and they press on ur hips to see if they're "tucked" so we call it.

Do not fear pain, for when you feel pain you know you are still alive.