• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate vs. Kickboxing and Muay Thai

SevenStar is right it all depends on your trianing methods. I seen an instructor who mentioned how his student was frustertated and wanted to learn better fighting techniques. All the instructor said was practice your kata more. He then told me that Kata contained the techniques for fighting. Well I know kata is used as a refrence with adapitblity in the acutual moves ot make several diffrent techniques off of one move. Also a vehicle to practice concepts or get across concepts. Mainly it is used a as refrence for all of that. Just telling his student to practice Kata was a disvafor with out least exposing some concept or ideas for him to work into his kata. Which I thought was silly to do.

Same with training methods in Karate. I don't think most Karate practioners would beat an equal standing kick boxer. Alot of schools train kata, train, techniques on no resiting or very little resitance partner, do some air drills and bag drills, and some mild Kumite. Even if the training methods was more full contact Kumite. Most people go for 3 hours out of a week. were is if your talking about 2 students who one taking Karate for a year the other Mauy thai or some full contact kick boxing. And competes and trains like an athlete he will beat the Karate ka. Why more time in training, more experience, Meaning fighters in Mauy thai that compete usually put in more hours of training time more hours of conditioing there body, more time on the bag and more shadow boxing drills.

As well as spart with more contact. That is the general idea.

Not all Karate schools do meidum contact, or training methods aren't geared so high. But Kick boxing format type fighers are martial athletes, put more time and repts into there fighting and work out stragies to make it work! Were is regular karate ka put ligher contact and aren't martial athletes they are matial artists. Again this is general statment depends on teh instructor the student. But on average a kick boxing student same time in number of months or years against a karate student. Kick boxer will more likely come out the winner in a street fight.

-Jeff

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice is the Key, did you mean to be sarcastic?

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Hi, old fashion muay thai was born befroe any martial arts much more and its anciet than okinawan bla blah blah.

You are making a lot of posts that have no real value and are getting on a lot of peoples nerves.

Hi, old fashion muay thai was born befroe any martial arts much more and its anciet than okinawan bla blah blah.

um...chinese shuai chiao can be traced back to about 3000 years. some claim it actually goes back about 5000...

you mean it isn't just me being over sensitive?

y'know, i kinda feel a bit better after hearing that.

was afraid my advancing age was turning me into a grouch...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

hmmmm....Does it realy matter how old the system is I think not. Either it works or it doesn't. And becomes its old doesn't mean over time it hasn't been watered down. Thats quite irrevent.

• 1 month later...
its been said many times why try to compare any style --------its what suites you when the crunch comes to the crunch its down to spirt youve either got it or you havnt

theres no one style just your style---------