• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate vs. Kickboxing and Muay Thai

which would do better in a street fight? Assuming two persons of equal size, strength and ability (at their chosen style)? And what do you think the major differences are between 'American' kickboxing and Muay Thai?

Thanks for your opinion.

Well It depends on the orientation of the school but there are two main reasons i think MT would have an advante on the street in comparision to American Kickboxing or Full contact Karate.

1) Low kicks-Low kicks are almost always going to be the most effective in a street situation and MT fighters can deliver devestation ones. Most American kickboxers or Karateka spar with only kicks above the waist.

2) Clinch- The clinch is very important in a Street fight because alot of untrained people will simply try and Cover the Distance and Smother you and "dirty" box, Thai Fighters Spend alot of time working the clinch and Have Devestating knees and elbows from this position. Where as most kickboxers/krateka spend little time training/sparring in the clinch.

dont get me worng there are plent of good karate schools out there and it just depnds on what they work on...but the above statments are generalizations of most schools imo.

as far as the diffrences between American kickboxing and MT as a sport

-American kickboxing is boxing rules with kicks above the waist.

-MT allows leg kicks, knees, elbows, clinching and sometimes throws.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJS - Thanks. A couple observations:

a) the guy I worked out with must have been MT, because his main weapon was devastating low kicks

b) the style of Goju Ryu I practice focuses on low kicks, never high and very similar to the MT style - quad pressure points, shin/calves, groin, inner thigh, abdomen, some ribs. Works well for me because I can't kick all that high anymore anyway :D

cool, like is said there are karate schools out there that have a very good focus. unfotrunatly many in America do not...but that goes for alot of stlyes not just karate.

Good luck with training.

At my dojo we do a lot of leg conditioning with low kicks.

The real reason kickboxers and MT have an advantage over karatekas is twofold. First, Kickboxing adn MT usually focus on physical conditioning more, so the fighters are usually in better shape. The other is that we karatekas always have to go and fight kickboxers and MT practicioners in their rings, by their rules. That is why most good K-1 fighters who were originally karatekas, are not sucessful until they basically become kickboxers. I.e. you cannot tell Andy Hug was a karateka from his technique. The pressure of fighting under kickboxing rules is a great disadvantage to karatekas, though some styles, like kyokushinkai are starting to focus on glove fighting (instead of bare hand fighting) now as well.

Thanks to all who posted.

Good luck!

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

but remember karate has more moves than kickboxing where it is only round, spinning back kick and four punches. i know i have defeated a so called good kickboxer by using jump and cresent kicks. he was wearing boxing gloves to while i was bare. gloves hurt you can use them as a weapon than for protecting your hands.

falcon kick!!!

know i have defeated a so called good kickboxer by using jump and cresent kicks

A perfect example of why Muay Thai Has transitioned well in to NHB fighting while others havent...

• 2 months later...
Kick boxing is just a sport like Football. Karate is a martial art. There are a lot more meaning to it than just learning how to fight. It is about respect and disapline.

tokin' chokin' chillin'

PRIDE! OKINAWA PRIDE!

"Kick boxing is just a sport like Football. Karate is a martial art. There are a lot more meaning to it than just learning how to fight. It is about respect and disapline."

I hear this a lot, and I don't tend to agree. I learned respect and discipline from my parents, martial arts were always for fun and fighting.

Just because your art may appear "respectful" or "disciplined" through external appearances(bowing, clean white uniform, lots of yelling in foreign languages) does not mean you are any more disciplined or respectful than the guy who forces himself to do ten more pushups, fight one more round, to push himself past the breaking point every day.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

"Kick boxing is just a sport like Football. Karate is a martial art. There are a lot more meaning to it than just learning how to fight. It is about respect and disapline."

I hear this a lot, and I don't tend to agree. I learned respect and discipline from my parents, martial arts were always for fun and fighting.

Just because your art may appear "respectful" or "disciplined" through external appearances(bowing, clean white uniform, lots of yelling in foreign languages) does not mean you are any more disciplined or respectful than the guy who forces himself to do ten more pushups, fight one more round, to push himself past the breaking point every day.

Basically I would agree, except in a traditional MA, there is more to it. The entire training session is rooted in history in many cases. Its not just about bowing or wearing a Gi, much deeper than that and not available in kickboxing (though I have practiced that form and respect it greatly)

you're saying that because you do TDK. I dont know why but people who do TKD talk smack lot.

tokin' chokin' chillin'

PRIDE! OKINAWA PRIDE!