• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate vs. Kickboxing and Muay Thai

as for kicks, MT actually does have side and hook kicks. the roundhouse and the teep are the most commonly seen kicks for efficiency reasons. But, MT classifies kicks in 2 categories - thrusting and arcing. roundhouse, hook kick, etc. are arcing kicks. teep, sidekick, etc. are thrusting.

Please explain what a teep is.

I trained in karate (shuri-ryu) and now train in MT. There is a lot to be said for the post that mentioned it all being a matter of opinion. I would expand on that to say that one's opinion of what will work better is based on many factors such as the schools one has been to and the things they have seen or heard about those styles. But what influences what we think will work best is mostly a function of what we think will work best for us and what works for me may not work for you.

That being said, the reason I think MT would work better in a street fight for me has to do with wise old saying SevenStar quoted. I really would rather perfect a small skill set than learn many techniques and practice them less. In my karate class I noticed a lot of higher level belts practicing very complex techniques, (those needed for their next belt test) almost exclusively. These techniques always struck me as being somewhat impractical from a fighting standpoint and as a result I felt the higher level people were wasting their time learning to pull off a move that would be of little use in a street fight (and time is not something I have in abundance).

A poster mentioned how many karatekas will raise their stance during point sparring. This is very telling...although point sparring is very different from a real street fight, it is still more similar to a street fight than practicing katas is. I would suspect anyone who raises their stance during point sparring would raise it even more in a real fight which would negatively impact the effectiveness of many of the techniques they learned while practicing a low stance in a class. In MT we practice all our moves from that high stance that feels more natural in a real fight. For me that feels right, even if a low stance is technically more stable and provides a smaller target that is easier to guard.

Physical conditioning requirements are demanding in a MT class as well. Back when I was studying karate and Tang Soo Do I thought conditioning meant exercise during class that got me in good physical condition. I now realise that conditioning is more than that. It also means conditioning the body to take blows by repeatedly taking blows in class. My MT teacher told me, after my first week or two while I was complaining about how much my shins hurt...he told me that after I had been doing this a while that one day I might hit my shin on a coffee table and only then would I realize that something that used to hurt a great deal didn't and it would surprise me how conditioned my shins had become. He was right about that, but that was not the whole of it. By regularly feeling pain in many different parts of my body, not only have those parts of my body been conditioned to be less receptive to pain but my mind has also been conditioned in such a way that even a paper cut between my fingers doesn't bother me the way it used to. I react differently to pain now. This, I know I never could have gotten from my karate teacher and this I know would be an advantage in a street fight.

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I thought that might be what you meant, we call it a foot jab. Thanks

G r e e n D r a g o n

FOR THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS...AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE: https://www.trueprotein.com

For an even lower price, use this discount code: CRA857

Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a warrior. - Carl von Clausewitz

How is that not 100% true? If you train for survival on the streets and have natural fighting ability, why would style matter? I see it this way, I do not care what a person is going to do to me, all I know is that what I am going to do is much worse, either we are both going to be hurt or just the other guy , besause I was taught nothing is for free.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

It all comes back to whether or not you are capable of thinking "outside the box." There are many styles that encourage training for specific situations, and this cripples you in a fight. This is one reason that I'm gonna go with it NOT being all about the individual.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

AS far as im concerned unless you look at your art like it is a cult and it is written law, we all have free will and you can still think outside the box for your self, you dont need an art to teach you that, some things you can do on your own. But if you want to hold sensei's hand and be a robot that is fine with me, but like you said some arts do teach outside the box but you can truly do it on your own.

Where Art ends, nature begins.