• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why the stances?

aznkarateboi

Why? Because they are useful! How are they useful? Depends on who you ask. Some people will show you how they work in old school Okinawan karate when you need to keep the balance low and throw your opponent off balance. Others in modern styles will say it helps strengthen your legs and teach you proper body alignment and power generation. Other people will say that when you panic in real life fight, you use short cuts in everything you do, so if you train in the "proper" way, you use too small movements in real life. If you exaggerate your moves in training, you'll shorten them in real life to the proper size. Who of these is right? That's what you have to find out. Maybe they all are?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?Other people will say that when you panic in real life fight, you use short cuts in everything you do, so if you train in the "proper" way, you use too small movements in real life. If you exaggerate your moves in training, you'll shorten them in real life to the proper size.

Good thoughts - I always thought this made sense (although all are valid reasons). Most sports also use this principle, i.e. putting weights on a baseball bat so that when you remove them, the bat seems lighter. I'm guessing the old masters were aware of this obvious principle and used it well.