• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do forms/katas begin with left movements?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never really gave it much thought :-? . But in our system's first kata we move straight forward with our left foot and strike with a left uppercut. Our second kata starts with a 45* step back to the right and a blocking motion. Third kata starts to the left, and the fourth starts to the front, then left and right. :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Have you also noticed that the first move is usually a defensive technique?
:karate: Karate or most of martial arts are defencive arts so it normal to see a bloc fallowed by an attack,why do we start on the left side,first you have to remember that the first 5 katas of shotokan (the 5 heian) were teatched to the kids by sensei funakoshi and for the adults they would strat with bassai day,bassai sho,if you look at those kata they don't start on the left side they start up front.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

ahh guys, you're making it too easy on her.. she was supposed to think of this stuff herself! :)

of course, we can always find kata/hyung that are exceptions to the rule. naihanchi comes to mind right off the bat, but those forms are a different animal altogether from the rest.

but in general most forms either start going to the left, or start with the left hand/left foot doing the first technique.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

don't get in the mistake of dismissing the pyung ahns as "kid forms" as they are still quite useful.
First I'am not dismissing the heian or pinan or which ever forme you use to began you style I'am just saying that was the way in the begining.More than that when we start something new we are just like baby we need to start to walk before we can run so no shame at all to start with a so call kid kata.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

My instructor told us that it is done by the way that the Sword is drawn before battle. I do Believe that. But the other day after class I believe your were there but he said that my form is the first form to start on the the right side or at least up to my rank that is. And the replys on this question are awesome and I saw many different peoples replys that really made me think! :)

Sarah

Traninee Instructor

At Newton's Tae Kwon Do Plus

3rd Degree Black belt

South Carolina