• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do forms/katas begin with left movements?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the 5 katas up to BB, 2 start to the left, two to the right and one straight ahead. Pretty even. eh? They all start with a defensive move, and all finish with a step backward (except one)

I don't know why "left" was chosen first. Many others have offered their insight. But I believe the reason the rest start left is based on the "building block" concepts. Our katas start with the same basic shape movement (an I) for the first 5. They add different stances and techniques and build on the previous one. It isn't until the 6th that they start introducing angles into the form. By the last few BB katas, tehy're almost all in angles. But it's done in a progressive fashion so that each is similar to the one before. In that fashion, once the first one goes to the left, the rest would also do that. Why left? Well, you had to go one way, it might as well been there.

Not all do as pointed out. Tekki are the first ones taht come to mind. Chintie is another as is Sochin but I do understand your question.

My best guess is this. Most people are right handed and to be a good MA we need to work both. By nature our left is slower and weaker so when Funakoshi and others developed kata they put the left stance first to force us to work it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Of the 5 katas up to BB...

Wow :o . Your style only has 5 katas to BB. Just curious, how many movements in these katas? I am not being condecending, just wanted to know.

Lots - pretty old traditional katas like Saifa, Seienchin, Shisoshin. We focus strongly on the Katas and every little nuance and meaning of movement. Its not uncommon for a long-time practioner to be critiqued on their first kata after years and years of practice at it. We're never done learning, sigh :) Thanks for asking.

not sure about this but i think i've seen one of the chinese schools practice their forms (slowly) forwards and then backwards.

by this i mean once they have gone through their form, they then repeat the form but in reverse.

then they do it again but starting with the opposite lead.

can anyone tell me if i dreamed this?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Requires a lot of focus. We have done it some in the past to play arround with but thats about it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."