• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do forms/katas begin with left movements?

Noticed a pattern the other day. Up to my current rank, all the forms I have learned have begun with a movement to the left or with the left hand or foot.

Asked my Instructor, and instead of just telling me the answer, he told me to research it... learn more that way. Searched the web, best I could find is the superstition that it's lucky to enter a house left foot first, and in Islam, you are supposed to enter the house of worship left foot first.

Anybody have any ideas?

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was most likely related to the culture of where it was created.

And, many instructers really want to see their students become involved in martial arts, outside of the training hall.

..probably...

if you look at wing chun guys, we will more often than not, face you in a left stance...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

What about Tekki shodan or Bassi or Kanku Dai? They do not start with the left side? Im not sure there really is a reason most start with the left.

Perhaps since most people are right handed there would be a greater percentage of attacks coming towards you from your opponents right side

which mirrored is ....your Left. :idea:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

unless your an isshin-ryu practitioner. then tekki shodan does go left first :)

bassai? the technique is from the right hand, but you do pivot to the left first. just a set up, or an actual defensive tecnique?

KSK? the first knifehand strike is to the left.

either way, you're still getting at my point: perhaps the first move is defensive. So why the left side?

...maybe we've told her too much :D

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Have you also noticed that the first move is usually a defensive technique?

:nod: Yes, I have. Perhaps this shows we should use our art in defense, not to dominate.

...maybe we've told her too much

:lol: Never, I am a sponge. More info and opinions please. I don't think I am going to find a black & white answer, but with many other people's thoughts, I can form my own opinion.

We do occasionally practise forms on the opposite side, but most of our forms up to black belt are symmetrical.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo