• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What makes an MA a sport?

the moment you use it in a competition, it has become part of the sport but that doesn't mean it is no longer a martial art.

I don't agree that weather you compete is the primary factor in the defition.. If you train "for the purpose of winning the competition" and it happens to work well fighting, you are in a sport... If you train "for the purpose of a non-competative fight" and you happen to compete, then you are not in a sport.

A fencer, for example, does not train to win a sword fight, he trains to win a fencing match; so fencing is a sport despite the fact that a fencer is an excellent swordsman. A guy working sticks in Kali is not training for a match, and so is not in a sport.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

but once a style has been "absorbed" into a competition, rules and limits are applied.

this changes what/how you then train.

but i do understand what you mean...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

If you want your stuff to be effective you need to train it against resistance. If you train it against resistance it will take on sporting qualities. So if you are doing something effective it will resemble sport.

Plus, the "rules" have to mimic reality and often can change to train specific elements.

The "too deadly for sport" is silly reasoning in my opinion.

Usually techniques that are considered "too deadly" means "don't work".

Want eye gouges, spar with safety goggles. Want groin strikes? get a good cup.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Want eye gouges, spar with safety goggles. Want groin strikes? get a good cup.

I'm not worried about the attacker getting good practice here; but I am concerned that the defender will not learn to protect such areas as "the equipment works".

I think the Dog Borthers stick stuff illustrates this issue very well. They are very good with their stick because they are used to using them at speed against reisting opponents... because of te required safety issues, they remove the most functional of attacks from the stick and therefore end up in grappling despite the ability of a stick to end a fight by well placed, early strikes.

However, if you want to simulate the effect of having a piece of rebar break your hand you are no longer looking at resisting opponents; but rather one's trying to figure out what to call in what amounts to "point sparring".

So do you want resistance that is not zealous enough? Or resistance that is not realiastically damaged?

I belive that martial arts are sports and arts at the same time, if you take the example of karate they are certain techniques that you can not use in tournement such as shuto ,empi ,Hiza-geri etc but are the heart and soul of karate and you find them in kata .

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street