King of Fighters

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. They are called the Police and every organization within them.

They do everything you just describe. But they depend on a vigilant citizenry in order to be effective. A "superhero" could do nothing to stiffle crime rates by himself. Real crime fighting is done by concerned and active citizens aided by the Police.

To think otherwise is living in a world that doesn't exist. The only way to stop crime is with the community. No number of Police or "superheroes" will ever change that.

A hero, as you have defined, would be next to ineffectual against the real numbers of crime each day.

Besides, every single person that gives a care about his neighbor will have more chances at being effective than any "batman" ever would.

Remember, "evil only triumphs when good men do nothing"

EXACTLY!

Keep Smiling!

This is a touchy subject, but in some circles, a freedom fighter would be considered a super hero. Unfortunately, Western society gives these people the title of "terrorist," and makes them out to be bad people. Regardless of how you feel on that issue, I'd say those people are super-heroes to the followers of the cause they are fighting.

Most freedom fighters want to have their cake and eat it too. Education is the key to "freedom" and improving society. Knowledge is power.

Hero: "A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose"

Terrorist: "One that engages in acts of force or violence with the intention of intimidating societies or governments"

One who is violent or seeks to intimidate others cannot be a hero. Terrorists are the worst possible type of human beings.

Keep Smiling!

ahhh, but technically, you don't have the right to get angry if you get a speeding/parking ticket...

Laws are made by men with political goals in mind.. Laws are not necessarily related to ethics or even science.

Clearly the laws that have been put in place have allowed for a generally comfortable lifestyle for most. However, "because its the law.." is nothing more than juvenile gang psychology on a large scale.

Keep Smiling!

well, this isn't about whether the laws are right or wrong.

the point is, you know that there exists certain laws. if you don't agree with them, do something to change them, not defy them out of pettiness.

i mentioned speeding and parking because those two are probably going to cause most arguments.

the point is, if you speed, you deserve the ticket and if you park illegally, you deserve the ticket.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

the point is, you know that there exists certain laws. if you don't agree with them, do something to change them, not defy them out of pettiness.

Good point.

Perhaps though, an individual's greatest chance of achieving change in a society such as ours, is to make a stand. Democracy is about the majority. If it will cost votes, only then might the laws be changed. Defiance is one way, none of which are particularly effective, to be noticed - the first step in getting supporters.

i mentioned speeding and parking because those two are probably going to cause most arguments.

Oh really :roll:

the point is, if you speed, you deserve the ticket and if you park illegally, you deserve the ticket.

Fair enough.

Keep Smiling!

The Neighborhood Watch program is a good example of this, I think. As far as I know, NW does not receive any kind of monetary reward for reporting crimes/catching criminals/helping the police. Their reward is knowing that their children are safe at night.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

This is a touchy subject, but in some circles, a freedom fighter would be considered a super hero. Unfortunately, Western society gives these people the title of "terrorist," and makes them out to be bad people. Regardless of how you feel on that issue, I'd say those people are super-heroes to the followers of the cause they are fighting.

Most freedom fighters want to have their cake and eat it too. Education is the key to "freedom" and improving society. Knowledge is power.

Hero: "A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose"

Terrorist: "One that engages in acts of force or violence with the intention of intimidating societies or governments"

One who is violent or seeks to intimidate others cannot be a hero. Terrorists are the worst possible type of human beings.

I suppose that's one perspective, but I still think that the causes they fight for would view them as heroes, just as the people on the other side would likely see the soldiers that fight the terrorists in a positive light. It's like the Isrealis versus the Palestinians. Or Iraq and Kuwait? Or China and Tibet? Who's the good guys and who's the bad guys? It all depends on which side you are on.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

china and tibet is a slightly different matter.

so is iraq and kuwait.

both of these involve one country invading another.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."