• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The End

fireka

Now this is just my opinion and my account of what I have seen in my experience.

If you don't have time to go to a dojo, then it won't belong before you no longer find time to practice at home. Usually the practicing at home part is the first to go. Perhaps it is really the money that is preventing you from going, if that is so, I'm sure you will find people to train with eventually, money or no. Now I'm not saying that it is impossible to maintain a training regimen at home, it is just very, very, difficult.

Now I know a lot of people who don't really train consistently any more. Are they still martial artists? Well yea, why not? They've got training, they've got knowledge, and while their techniques may not be as practiced they still know how they are supposed to work. If a noteworthy painter puts his brush down for a period of time he can still pick it back up. He may take a bit of time to warm up, but once he does, the art is still there. If what we practice is truly an art then it is an expression of heart not a statement of skill level. There is no set skill level for being an artist. It's the heart that tells.

I can't imagine anyone not wanting to correspond with you. I would only ask that you understand that it generally takes more personal resources to maintain the discipline and motivation to study at home then it does to go to a dojo.

-Paul Holsinger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask yourself this question: If you were attacked or put in a dangerous situation, do you feel that when your last resort of fighting was inevitable that you would envolve the use of your MA training? I think you would, so that makes you a martial artist.

Good luck.

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

Ask yourself this question: If you were attacked or put in a dangerous situation, do you feel that when your last resort of fighting was inevitable that you would envolve the use of your MA training? I think you would, so that makes you a martial artist.

Good luck.

Well said, I agree! In a sense, once a martial artist, always a martial artist if you know what I mean. And what is the opinion of the group on putting a 'dojo' in your home or garage? Having a special area set aside with mats, maybe a makiwara, a small shrine (or whatever works for you) and some other accoutrements from your particular style might make you feel more inclined to train regularly.

If you run into some one who trains in another style who is sufficiently advanced enough to teach you some of what they do that can be a very good thing. Having different training partners over time who have different backgrounds can be a very enlightening experience.

.. you're not training at the dojo anymore? aww...what a pity dear.

I mean, I'm so used with you also training at a dojo. Hmm.. well, it's kind of sad, cuz I can't immagine if I would stop training at my dojo where I have all my friends and everything! Oh well, I guess it's a little bit different for you... :( keep practicing at home then... but what about your tournaments? does it mean you're not competing anymore?

anyway, keep the karate spirit.. even if you're not going to your dojo anymore.

Kill is love

My Sensei makes the lower ranked students clean the dojo. The highest ranking student hands out the jobs. Sometimes it's a junior BB that even tells his orange belt mom to clean the bathroom! Everyone does it, and is glad to. We are all proud of our dojo.

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

I have two suggestions:

1. See if you can get someone train with you once or twice a week. Even for an hour or something. Then do kata, bagwork and other stuff (fitness too!) on your own.

2. Read Loren W. Christensen's book "Solo Training".