• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The End

fireka

I have decided to stop going to my karate dojo. not because i dont like the dojo, or karate, but because i can no longer afford the time or money necassary as a result of school, the Navy DEP, and my car insurance (which means working). I know my sensai would rather see me excel in school right now than master the art of the empty hand. However i still plan on practicing at home, not advancing in kata, but just practing the kata i know and my kihon and training my body tll i can enter a dojo again. is this an exceptable method? Can i still be considered a martial artist amongst you, my piers? it is my view that the training and focus on only a few kata will be good for me. as ive said before, id rather be the best white belt in the world than a black belt who can be easily defeated. But i wont your opinions, fellow martial artist.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work on what you know at home like they said. Karate once started only ends with death.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Hey fireka, of course you are still a martial artist! I like to think that a big part of being a good MArtist is your atitude and mindset, moreso than how good your technique is or how often you train in the dojo.

If I cannot get to the dojo because of work commitments or whatever, I train at home and that training is just as valuble to me as the time spent in the dojo with Sensei.

Would it not be possible for you to arange the occasional "catch-up" session with your Sensei, say once a month or a few times a year, for a very small fee? That way you can train at home most of the time, but still get your Sensei's help if you are stuck on any particular kata or technique. Just a thought.

Good luck! Hope you return to MAs when you can :karate:

Osu,

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

My TSD instructor started with TKD. He told me that he didn't test for his yellow belt for two years! And he said the same thing as you: "Id rather be the best white belt in the world than a black belt who can be easily defeated." Now (or when I trained with him) he has REALLY sharp technique and he prides himself on trying to make his students better than him.

So I say, practice on your own. You have learned the basics, so drill them on your own. By the time you go back, you will be the best white belt there is ;)

Laurie F

One of the first lessons you learn in MA is that the basics are by far the most important. Good luck with your training, and I hope your time/finances issue works out so that you can get back to your dojo asap.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

I had to take a couple of years off due to a variety of situations, illness, etc.. and although I didn't train as much as I could/should have.... :roll:

I still considered myself a karate-ka. Once you are, you always are, i think, unless you make a decision to reject your training. You can practice your katas, basics, and do the stretching and calisthenics just fine. Try to set aside a special place, like your own dojo area and keep it regular. Much easier said than done!! :) good luck and keep posting!

thank you, i will continue to train at home. I have a qustion though, is advanceing in any form during this down period a bad idea? i mean, for example, if i run into someone of martial arts experince would it hurt to learn a new technique that could be practiced? maybe even a new kata? but i will stick mainly to what i know, i do not wish to revert to mistakes of the best. However i am learning a new art through corespondence corse, my grandfather is paying for it because he is so happy that i show such an advet intrest in my heritage. By video (going both ways, i watch there videos to train by and then send them a video of what ive done, live video chats, ect.) and textbooks im learning the Martial Art of the Celtic Sword. So i havent abandoned all formal training.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

Hey, that's really cool! How did you set that correspondence course up? I'd be really interested.

Thanks!

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido