• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently started jiu-jitsu and can say that the movements in the kata are similar top the basic movements behind many throws and locks, though exaggerated for mneumonic purposes. Particular wheres stances are concerned.

Many people regard kiba-datchi or horse stance as a leg strength exercise, and it undoubtably serves this purpose well. But in jiu-jitsu and judo many standing joint locks particularly arm bars are perfromed in this stance as it allows you to push your body weight downwards on the lock and apply pressure without comprising you balance by bending over.

An example of this is in pinan sandan. Where you drop into a low horse stance with your arms pulled at the side before lashing out your lead arm in a gedan barai move.

This makes a good arm lock as when you seize or are seized by the arm you pull the captured arm back to your hip in a twisting hikite with the lead arm wrapping over the top with the forearm over the elbow joint. Dropping in to kiba datchi you apply pressure to the elbow and can snap it easily. After applying the lock or break (or if it fails) use your lead hand to strike with tetsui-uke (hammerfist) to the temple and finish.

There is also a great shoulder lock in Pinan Shodan (heian nidan).

I would recommend Iain Abernethy's book (Imaginitively called "Karate Graplling methods") if any of you want to study this more, as I personally find it fascinating.

Does anyone know any grappling Bunkai for Chinto (Gankaku I think, can anyone confirm :-? ) as the sailor Chin To (for who the kata was named) was supposedly a wrestler or grappler of some form (my guess is Shiau Chiou). I unfornately have not learnt this form yet :(

And any for Matsu kaze? :karate:

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Many people regard kiba-datchi or horse stance as a leg strength exercise

warning:

They just haven't been taught proper bunkai. That claim is always done by people who have no idea what they are supposed to do with the kata, then they make up reasons for themselves to justify kata training. Go study some authentic old school Okinawan style and you'll see what I mean. Try Jundokan Goju-ryu, Seibukan Shorin-ryu or Yuishinkai Karate-jutsu and you don't have to make excuses for kata training, it will all become clear.

When Sensei Miyagi designed his kata, he did not hide movements into it and tell his students to try to guess what he means. He taught the bunkai that he meant with the kata. After WW2 the Japanese didn't bother studying with their Okinawan masters and they lost the bunkai knowledge, then they made the excuses. But on Okinawa they still train the old way: with proper bunkai of the kata designer still known.

The greatest misconception of karate kata is that the bunkai should be guessed or designed by the student. Each move that was put into the kata by the master, was also taught by the master. In old schools this is still the way it is done. You are taught a kata, and you are taught the bunkai that the kata designer meant along with it. No fuzz, no mystery. No Dillman-B.S. just plain self defence.

Um...I never said that it was a leg strengthening exercise. I know it isn't.

I just stated that many people say that why its there and that it can serve such a purpose if you want it to.

Then again many people think the stances are just their to make the kata look good. But then some people think the moon landing was fake.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Um...I never said that it was a leg strengthening exercise. I know it isn't.

I just stated that many people say that why its there and that it can serve such a purpose if you want it to.

I didn't mean to imply you did. I was just responding about their misconception. Sorry if it didn't come out that way.

The greatest misconception of karate kata is that the bunkai should be guessed or designed by the student. Each move that was put into the kata by the master, was also taught by the master. In old schools this is still the way it is done. You are taught a kata, and you are taught the bunkai that the kata designer meant along with it. No fuzz, no mystery. No Dillman-B.S. just plain self defence.

Thank You! I've been trying to explain this forever and no one seems to get it! This is the only way of karate I know - I was beginning to think I was alone? :D