aznkarateboi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That double arm elbow break/throw is an awesome interpretation of the upper/lower strike/block seen in Pinan Sandan. It's in the Naihanchi kata, too.

Okinawan tuite is replete with devastating breaking, choking and throwing techniques. Traditionally there was no breakfall training in Okinawan karate. If someone wanted to get in close all you learned was a fast and sneaky counter, usually a throw that twisted, controlled and contorted various body parts, making breakfalls literally impossible or stupid.

A typical example of a throw that could do damage to various parts of the body is seen in Matsumura Seito and other Shorin Ryuha versions of the kata Paisai (or Passai) Dai. After executing what looks to be a double backknuckle strike, an immediate lead right hand punch is performed (w/o chambering). It is done as you shuffle forward with your (lead) right foot. In actuality one of the bunkai for this is as soon as you set up the opponent with this right hand punch to the chin, your right hand grabs his right arm while your left grabs his hair (on top of his head) or his trachea (Adam's apple), tearing in opposite directions and using spiraling force to throw him to the ground, occiput (back of the head) first. Your legs end up in a renoji dachi or "L-Stance", as you turn quickly and face in the opposite direction, left leg forward right arm to your rear and bent fist up, your left arm to the front in a "low-block" position . When you used the right hand lead your right leg was forward, pressing against his lead knee (either right or left). This sets him up for the unbalancing (not necessarily trip/throw) that will tear every ligament in his knee if done with the right angle and positioning.

No break falls allowed here.Plus it isn't really smart to try and judo breakfall on concrete. Especially the slapping the ground variety. This is the difference between Okinawan gyaku-te/tegumi/tuite, and Judo, JJ or other grappling arts. Pure E-V-I-L. This is an example of a control, unbalancing move/throw and submission all rolled into basically 3 movements in a "dance". Again you see the use of crossing vectors, and attacking the balance of your opponent, finishing with devastating consequences (like Pinan Sandan's cross-arm lock). Use your opponent to help you. Use gravity to help you. Use your understanding of physics to help you. No need to force the issue. No muscles or athleticism needed. This is what is in kata if you know how to interpret it AND if you preserve the traditional modality and techniques.

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

The doulbe block in Heian Sandan has a few applications.

1. Blocking a punch and kick or doulbe strike in general

2. Doulbe striking the guy in the groin and jaw with backfist/hammerfist type moves.

3. Its to escape from a choke or colar grap hold

4. If you think of playing the up hand beside the head and the lower hand on the inner leg it becomes a throw.

5. If you only one punch with the outside block the changing of the two arms is a break on the arm you blocked if you attack the elbow side. Or if you attacked the inner arm it becomes a half takedown. At the least it breaks the person posture.

6. Twisting a staff out of somewons hands

KK75 NO move in any kata is useless. At least speaking from a Shotokan standpoint. We teach many applaications for each move and develope new ones along the way as needed. Anytime you need help let me know.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Cool. Thanks G :) I wanna also figure out ones for the Taegeuk forms, since there isn't a site for them(not for bunkai, anyways). So I'm taking bunkai from the shotokan kata, and trying to match it to similar moves in the taegeuks. I'll PM you if I get stuck ;)

P.S. my link didn't post, but I'm at work. So I'll fix it when I get home :)

Laurie F

when your left hand is grabbed, do the lower block motion with it while simultaneously bringing ur right arm under your arm and your opponent's arm and executing the inner middle block move with the knuckle of your thumb making contact with you're opponent's right elbow. this should break the arm