• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How does a student have to eran a rank

How does a student have to eran a rank in your shcool? Katas, Terminalogy, Fight's ( how many?)

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my school, when they show that they know and can do the forms, kicks, basic self defense techniques, and the 'miscilanious' (hilarious, isn't it? It's a combonation of things like falls, throws, and rolls), it's noted by a stripe on their belt, and then when they get all of them, the student is invited to particpiate in the belt test, where they basically demonstrate what they know, spar, and perhaps do board breaking, but we don't focus as much as other schools do.

This method continues until blackbelt, where the grading is different

i'd think that this would apply to more then just chinese martial arts. Hope you don't mind me adding my two cents.

depends on the rank testing for. colored belts only have to do 1 form until their blue belt test in which they have to do at least 5 and then black belts have to do like 3 or 4 until they test for a new degree, then they have to do all of them.

we also spar and do self-defense. we have approx. 5 words each test to learn.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

They must have met a minimum time requirement, then forms (all of them depending on where they are), applications to the moves of the form (all of them), history, terminology, principles and how to apply them and to which parts of the form they apply, must be good citizens and have good attendance. We also have drills that go aloong with each section of each form and they must be able to demostrate or perform with you each of them proficiently.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

• 3 months later...
:) That's pretty easy. In my school. we have to learn one form for each color belt plus all kicks, basic self defense techniques, board breaking, punches, blocks, chinnan,and fights for each belt. In black belt you have to know all your color belt forms plus 5 black belt forms. 13 fights 12 fights of 2min and the last one with your teacher for 8min. ;)

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

We have set things you have to do on a given test. Most early test consist of Basic moves (stance, punches, kicks) one kata and either SD or 3 step sparring. As you move up in rank the basics become more complex and your ability is based on speed, power, focus, and not just techinque. You may have to do more kata than one and you will have to explain its applications, Sparring moves to one step and then to freestyle by the time of you Dan test.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

It depends on rank. We have to know basics (kicks, blocks, hand techs, ect), forms, breakfalls, rolls, joint locks, one steps, sweeps, throws, standing grappling, sparring (at green and up), grappling, and breaking. The higher you are in the ranks, the harder the stuff is to know. That's for color belts.

Black belts get to learn the fun stuff (weapons, weapons defenses, ect) on top of learning the really hard stuff (similar to above).

Laurie F