• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

women and martial arts

well, i still think that claim is a bit exaggerated. it takes a hell of a long time to get good in wing chun...

What do you mean? You can become proficient in WC in a very short amount of time, at least being able to defend yourself.....with a little dedication. Wing Chun was developed to be learned in a short time. It can take years to learn all the nuances of WC but to be able to use it thatcan be done relatively quick.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, think back to your first few months of training. what did you do?

i remember spending a hell of a lot of time just punching, turning stance, stepping and switching hands.

i'll admit that it takes less time to get good compared to other chinese styles but it isn't by any means fast.

also, how many new people have the strength in techniques to actually defend properly? i don't mean against the usual one hit/break drills. how many new people have good enough position, stance and technique to defend.

the original comparison for it being quick to learn realated to a time period of about five years as opposed to fifteen years for something like shaolin.

don't get me wrong. wing chun is my life. i just don't like it when people hurl that idea around like that because it isn't really true...

i think with about 6 months of proper training in core moves and with frequent sparring, you can begin to defend yourself confidently.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I would say 6 months is fast. But the way we train we get people up to speed as quickly as possible. You can train them to begin to use the form for defense in as little as 3 to 4 months if it is done right. And it can be done without taking away from the Wing Chun. You begin teaching applications very early on. It is not a diffcult thing to do if the intent is there and the guidance is recieved from a good Sifu.

There are schools that as you said, "spending a hell of a lot of time just punching, turning stance, stepping and switching hands", working basics.

i just don't like it when people hurl that idea around like that because it isn't really true...

I believe it is possible and in my experience it is possible to bring students along that quickly, as I said to defend oneself but the nuances take a lifetime. Keep in mind there is a certain amount of dedication involved init though.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

agreed....ANY art will give a woman some advantage over an unsuspecting attacker.

Choose an art that you feel most comfortable with to use as a platform.

I teach TKD and hapkido, however I also employ a multitude of other techniques from several styles and teach them to my adults.

I'd be extremely wary of any "classes" (not courses) for women's self-defense. Self-defense training, whether through a traditional school or not, should be part of one's regiment.

Just like jogging keeps you in shape, ongoing training is a must for optimum self-defense.

My wife, (also a 4th degree blackbelt) carries a 6 inch carbon steel ribbed bar on her keychain. In class she has developed many techniques (with my help...*g*) that she now can do as much from reflex (muscle memory) more so than having to actively think about how she uses it.

What most civilians (non-martial artists) do not realize is how much simply being in good shape and training in response conditioning will benifit anyone who finds themselves in a confrontation.

If self-defense could be sold in a pill, everyone would be an expert, since it does not, train hard!

"We are all more alike than we are different."

4th dan, WTF Kukkiwon certified

AAU Coach/Referee (oops, not National though!)

USTU Regional Referee (but I have stopped chasing the USTU around for a while)

"One of a kind" instructor...*g*

well, that's kinda what i was leading to.

a martial art shouldn't sell itself as

"quick to learn, good for self defence for women"

how quickly you learn depends on you.

all martial arts should be good for self defence.

all martial arts are for everybody.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Not all arts and not all training cirriculum approach the same goal the same way. I have seen 2-day courses (at 10 hours a day) that, if the hard work is put in, wil drastically improve your self defense ability (presuming you are coming from "untrained", the trained artist will get different info than the untrained). I've seen schools where in a year you still don't know what you are doing, even though a 5 years they my be very impressive.

Is there something you can take for 2 days and learn to defeat they guy who'se been actively studying for months or years? No. But they are not the considered opponents in a good self-defense course. A self denfese course is about giving you things you can do and retain despite a general lack of practice that will make you more capable... and that can, indeed, be done.

Train constantly, and you will be better; stay in good shape and you will be better still; but this does not mean that no training workshops can be useful.

Depends on what she wants to study. I would say that Martial Arts that focus on real situations would be best for women to learn. A MA that focuses more on using the attackers strength against them and not relying on strength to fight.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

DO NOT DO TAE BO!!!!!!! I DONT KNOW WHERE ANYBODY EVER GOT THE IDEA THAT TAE BO WORKED!!!!!!!!!! You'd probably be better off with.......... you pick, find a style that interest u and check it out. Or whoever this thread was originally made for.

Cody

white belt in everything