• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those that said, "any art that she wants."

I am a novice martial artist, but it seems that the best art is the one that a person enjoys, regardless of gender. I mean if a person has fun in the framework of the art, then they will practice it harder and on a more consistent and long-term basis, right?

Personally, my wife started taking Hapkido with me 6 weeks ago. It works out great, as we both have a training partner at home.

For her situation, Hapkido is a fantastic art:

1) It is a soft art.

2) She is learning a wide variety of skills and techniques, and our instructor will point out self defense applications that are specifically for her.

3) Learning to fall properly can save any person from serious injury. Especially someone that has osteoporosis (spelling?) in her family.

4) How often do non-martial arts women of 120 pounds get to make their 200 pound husbands tap out on a regular basis? :P

So SORYNN you think just like me,hapkido beeing the corean version of aikido that what I belived is the best matial art for a woman,not that the rest is not good but this one will teatch you technique over strength and it a concept that a woman will understand better.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

well, my older sister went off to college, and it turns out 1 in 3 girls who goes there gets raped, or some other unsettling ratio like that, so she asked me to teach her some stuff. you know, escaping holds, breaking bones, pressure stuff, all sorts of fun stuff. it may be because she has a private teacher, but she caught on a heck of a lot faster than i did. i think the point i was trying to make was that technique will over come flexibility and strength, or... no wait, maybe it was... ah blast it, i lost it. women can do whatever they want... ... yeah!

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Kataman,

I do think that a soft art or an art with many soft techniques, like Hapkido, Jujutsu and Aikido would be a good choice. However, I am biased, as I study Hapkido, currently; and I studied Judo & Jujutsu as a teenager.

I do not think there is such a thing as a best style.

What does the practitioner want from the art?

Is the person interested in self defense? Do they want a traditional martial art? Is the person interested in understanding body mechanics and the flow of energy in a fight?

If yes, then a soft art may be great for that person.

Is the person interested in actively competing against others? Does the person have interests or goals that would be better served by another art?

If yes, then that person should persue the art that will satisfy their goals. For example, years ago I loved to compete, so I boxed and fought in Judo tournaments. I think Hapkido is perfect for me now, but it was not a good fit for me then.

There is not one reason for a person, regardless of gender, to study martial arts. So, there will never be one best martial art for all people. It is important for all people looking to start martial arts to understand why they are starting and to learn about the available arts and the instructors. This is just my humble opinion, so you can accept it or put in the circular file. That is your individual choice. :)

Cheers!

Just be weary of "womans self defense" classes.

do a background check, visit the place, etc. most of those are just scams that teach how to kick a guy in the balls.

take a real art or maybe the inbetween which would be a woman-only class at a real dojo.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

well, i still think that claim is a bit exaggerated. it takes a hell of a long time to get good in wing chun...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."