• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

women and martial arts

I would hope that any legitimate martial art would be able to be adapted by anyone. I mean, thats kinda the point isn't (wasn't) it? Smaller farmers or priests against armed warriors? So I feel any art should suffice to enable a female to protect herself sufficiently. Having said that, though, the more traditional arts, which may take years to master, would be a poor choice for someone wanting a quick fix. Krav Magda sounds good.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 5 months, I have already learned things that, combined with the surprise factor of a woman launching an aggressive counterattack, would be helpful in an emergency. Having learned how hard it is to throw even a small man, I do think women should stay away from arts requiring a lot of throwing. (I'm talking about self-defense here; I think competitions have weight classes, so that might not be as much of a problem.) I think we're better off with techniques that emphasize joint locking and eye gouging and finger breaking and kicking, things that don't require as much strength.

I agree, Jerry. I can throw a 220 lb guy. I don't use any strength, just leverage.

We have this woman in my class that is 22 (I think), 5 feet tall, and maybe a 100lb if she is soaking wet. This lady throws like it's nothing to her. She is awsome at throws. She is better than most of the guys (I'm not saying the guys are bad, she is just better).

Laurie F

this is what happen when you rely on technique instead of strengh,so everybody is saying that the best art for woman are the one with a lot of technique instead of striking and kicking.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

The original question was what martial art is the best for a women. My answer would be the same if it were for a man. And that is, it depends on the individual. What are the goals of that woman? Self-defense? Exercise? To compete in tournaments? A lot of people in here have made a lot of assumptions. But, in reality, a woman can do any martial art she chooses, but, which is best is a very personal matter. Besides that, what may be best could also be limited to what is available in the women's area. She may only have 1 or 2 to pick from.

So, my question to the original post is, why do you want to know? Are you looking to find an art? Or are you just curious as to people's opinions on which are best for women in general?

The original question was what martial art is the best for a women. My answer would be the same if it were for a man. And that is, it depends on the individual. What are the goals of that woman? Self-defense? Exercise? To compete in tournaments? A lot of people in here have made a lot of assumptions. But, in reality, a woman can do any martial art she chooses, but, which is best is a very personal matter. Besides that, what may be best could also be limited to what is available in the women's area. She may only have 1 or 2 to pick from.

So, my question to the original post is, why do you want to know? Are you looking to find an art? Or are you just curious as to people's opinions on which are best for women in general?

Well to be honest Iknew if I was going to ask such a question I was going to have a lot of reaction and that is good,but often as martial artist we are ask that kind of question by friends or relative so I was just currius to see the other people thought.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street