• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling arts vs Striking Arts

And since when is being in a clinch a disadvantage for a striker

It's not if both parties are trying to hit each other it's a disadvantage because it's alot easier to get someone down from a clinch unlees of course the "striker" has better takedowns/defenses than the grappler...at that point he must have grappling experience.

And since when is being down a disadvantage for a striker?

You don't have to be on top to push a person's head into the pavement. In fact, it's probrably easier to do if the other person is not lying on their back.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pure "strikers" and "grapplers" are rare. And for a reason.

And "what ifs" don't really mean anything to me. What if he has seven angry friends? What if he doesn't?

Strikers playing the grapplers game are in trouble.

Grapplers playing the strikers game are in trouble.

Most grapplers bring their opponent into their game. Just a thought.

Exactly, that the whole point of this discussion that warp spider dosent understand.

You don't have to be on top to push a person's head into the pavement. In fact, it's probrably easier to do if the other person is not lying on their back

Please describe the technique you would use to bash someones head into the ground if you were mounted or under the knee on belly position(The two common positions one would want to achive in a real fight)

There's always weapons around in the "real world." Tons of them. I took a look around where I am sitting right now to verify this. If on my back from where I am right now I could use: A bottle of spray nine, (spray in eyes) a small statue, a ceramic plant pot, a large ornamental bowl, a small cactus, and some metal book ends. I could probrably also reach the keyboard with a bit of a struggle. There are always things that can be used as weapons around. When was the last time you were confronted smack dab in the middle of a wheat field?

Didn't say they weren't. But in my experience, most fights I have seen or been in have never come to that, and I lived in a TERRIBLE neighborhood full of gang members. Most fights began standing up, and rarely went to the ground but always ended up clinching at some point. And lets say that you get in a fight where your at right now and end up on your back and get mounted. At your disposal you have all of the items you mentioned; spray bottle, statues, bookends, etc. Please tell me what is to stop your attacker from using them on YOU while they have you mounted? You see the fallacy there? It's called a false dillema because there is a flipside to the scenerio you painted that could be just as much of an advantage to your opponent as it is to you.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

i will agree that most people in striking arts aren't capable of defending from being taken to the ground.

In my Tae Kwon Do class, when we do free fighting, I often try and see if people can defend against a good tackle or such, fortunatally a good portion can defend themselves on the ground

Exactly, that the whole point of this discussion that warp spider dosent understand.

You don't have to be on top to push a person's head into the pavement. In fact, it's probrably easier to do if the other person is not lying on their back

Please describe the technique you would use to bash someones head into the ground if you were mounted or under the knee on belly position(The two common positions one would want to achive in a real fight)

1) Put hand on opponent's head.

2) Move hand to ground.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

1) Put hand on opponent's head.

2) Move hand to ground.

Ok I think this Topic is thru since you dont even know basic Grappling terms/positions either that or you think you can bash someones head in when you cant even reach it.

Personally, I prefer a good balance of both, over concentrating on one or the other.

However, the discussion shouldn't end just because a striker doesn't know grappling terminology.

As far as the current position in question, I haven't seen a detailed description of the scenario. So, it's possible you're both thinking of different positioning of the combatants.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Personally, I prefer a good balance of both, over concentrating on one or the other.

However, the discussion shouldn't end just because a striker doesn't know grappling terminology.

As far as the current position in question, I haven't seen a detailed description of the scenario. So, it's possible you're both thinking of different positioning of the combatants.

As far as the current position in question, I haven't seen a detailed description of the scenario. So, it's possible you're both thinking of different positioning of the combatants

I asked specifically how he would perform the technique he described if he was on the bottom of a mounted position...If he thinks he can bash someones head into the ground by "putting his hands on their head and moving it to the ground" he either has no fight experience whatsoever or is just trolling.

A) when you are mounted you cant reach the back of their head if they are sitting up

B) they are in a much better position to repeatedly bash You head into the ground along with alot of other things.

He has yet to answer any questions seriously or back up any of his claims.

Edited by TJS

A) when you are mounted you can reach the back of their head if they are sitting up.

Did you mean to say "can", or "can't" reach the back of their head when they are sitting up?

-------

I must not have seen the reference to the mount being reversed. All I saw was this:

"You don't have to be on top to push a person's head into the pavement. In fact, it's probrably easier to do if the other person is not lying on their back."

I didn't draw from this statement that he meant the headslamee was in the mount possition on the headslammer. Just that the slamee was not on their back. However, it will take WS to clarify to us what was meant.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.