• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling arts vs Striking Arts

Radok,

It doesn't teach them in the traditional sense, but it does teach them as set-ups for takedowns, how to avoid strikes while doing takedowns and how to strike on the ground.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that BJJ teaches strikes.

Thats fine, but im telling you you are wrong. it's not an opinon thing it's a fact. But like Johnny said they are more ground striking and strikes to setup takedowns etc. elbows, headbutts, kicks..

I don't think that BJJ teaches strikes.

:lol: >This is funny. Here you have two people who train Bjj, (one of whom is a BLACKBELT who has trained in it for 13 years) telling you that bjj does have strikes (albeit limited), and you tell them you think it doesn't? I guess it's just in their imaginations.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

Ok,well Karate has groundfighting.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Radok,

Which style of karate?

What techniques?

Where did it get these techniques from?

TKD - Black Belt

The style, Shorin Ryu.

Were they got it, I'm not one of the founding Okinawans, so I can't say.

The techniques, any techniques you decided to interprit as ground based.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Radok,

Do you now believe that BJJ has strikes, or are you making up the karate groundfighting comment out of spite?

TKD - Black Belt

Radok,

I'll grant you that karate has techniques such as takedowns and throws and applying a lock from standing on someone on the ground. It does not however, teach escapes or any techniques applied from the ground. So a karate person, unless they've trained in Judo or jiu-jitsu, will not know how to pass the guard, escape from headlock, escape mount etc. There is no ground-grappling in karate.

TKD - Black Belt

1. Spite is a funny word. :lol: sorry.

2.Actually, I was told they were there by one of the few 7'th degree black belts of the system.

3. this is funny. There is a Karate practitioner of three years telling you it has ground fighting and you tell me it doesn't. I guess it's just in my imagination then right? :lol:

I trained in karate for longer than you and never saw any groundgrappling. Care to tell me how you escape mount, or a headlock or any other "grappling" techniques on the ground?

TKD - Black Belt