• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling arts vs Striking Arts

Gloves come to mind. Strikers don't break their hands nearly as often now.

Requiring gloves would favor strikers as it makes grappling more difficult.

The rules in the UFC are not there to give an edge to strikers, or grapplers.

They are not there to hurt gunfighters either; but gunfighters are none-the-less rendered impotent by them.

There are plenty of strikers that do well today and you dont see them crying about how Strikers are at a disadvantage..you see them knocking people out.

That would be like people complaining the football favors strong people... From an "entering teh UFC" standpoint, it would be rediculious to whine about some percieved bias.. but when you see with what grain of salt you should use such competitions as a guide from which to decide how unarranged fights occur...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Requiring gloves would favor strikers as it makes grappling more difficult.

And it also makes breaking your hand alot harder...it was quite common back in the day.

The bottom line is diffrent people are a hindered by diffrent rules....not every rule in there is made to favor a grappler like some people would make it out to be.

I won't speak for "some"... If I've ever given the impression that I felt the rules were concocted to make one art look good; that was never my intent... I do think that the conditions of a UFC have differences from the conditions of a "real fight"; and that these difference can and do change the dynamic of the fight. I've listed them and why, and will not waste both our time doing so again.

If I was going to fight a grappler, I would want to go bare knuckle. I am not saying it isn't good to learn grappling, I learn Okinawan Karate, which is about 50/50 grappling/striking. I'm just saying It shouldn't be your sole objective. (to go to the ground.)

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

If I was going to fight a grappler, I would want to go bare knuckle. I am not saying it isn't good to learn grappling, I learn Okinawan Karate, which is about 50/50 grappling/striking. I'm just saying It shouldn't be your sole objective. (to go to the ground.)

who said it should be? the point was that Most Martial artist that train in pure standup will train to those that concentrate on grappling because it's easier to achive that range.

Your turning the argument into something it's not.

You say you wouldent want gloves? let me ask you how many NHB fight's you have been in? How many bare knuckle Full contact matches have you been in?

I won't speak for "some"... If I've ever given the impression that I felt the rules were concocted to make one art look good; that was never my intent... I do think that the conditions of a UFC have differences from the conditions of a "real fight"; and that these difference can and do change the dynamic of the fight. I've listed them and why, and will not waste both our time doing so again.

I Agree there are alot of diffrences between the UFC and a "street fight" .

I haven't been in NHB I have been in real fights. And I wouldn't want gloves.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

For the UFC to properly resemble a streetfight, each combatant should have to consume a couple pitchers of Guinness and two shots of Jagermeister, and the ref should be an ugly girl that they both think is attractive.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.