• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you have to be approved by Japanese for Black Belt?

Goju1

Just got curious from another thread - before we get our full black belt, (as opposed to probationary) we have to apply to a Japanese Karate Federation, submitted with pictures, recommendation from our Sensei, etc... Is this common?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I know that when I trained in Shotokan, our club was and still is associated with Nishiyama Sensei, and when it came time to test for our BB, we had to go to the main dojo in Los Angeles. Even prior to the test, it was highly recommended that you attend their BB classes.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

My good friend in Shito Ryu had to apply for his black belt like that. I believe he also had to make at least 6 trips to the main dojo before he could be recommended. However, I totally disagree with this policy if your instructor holds a master ranking 4th dan and above. If the main dojo feels that they were deserving of their rank then they should be allowed to promote their own students to within one grade of themselves. Actually, I feel this way about any instructor that is given express permission to teach on their own. Sorry, I got off the topic. *S*

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

It depends on the organization. We get a certificate from Okinawa, though the testing is done by an approved person in Canada.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse