• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For any of you really...

Kung Fu Hamster

Ok. I feel rather embarassed asking this since I've done Karate for at least 4 years now but here goes: You guys talk about things I really don't get! :blush:

Can you please explain some of your basic things for me please? E.G: Whats a Sempai? Why do people wear patches and where? I don't get half of the things you guys are saying... :bawling:

Cheers :bawling:

Everybodies Going Kung Fu Fighting! Yah Hoocha! LMAO

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
A sempai is an assistant instructor or senior student. Patches representing the style should be worn over the heart. At my school, we also have a patch representing the school over the right shoulder.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Radok answered the sempai question, but my school doesn't where patches. Our uniforms are plan white (except for black belts with the black trim). We do have the school logo on the back, if we buy our uniforms there. We don't have to, so I have two that are completely plan. I do have one with the logo, though. But it doesn't fit right, so I heardly wear it.

Laurie F

A sempai i any senior student. And patches can represent clubs, styles countries or cities.

In my club we define sempai as the highest ranked student

Angel

YELLOW BELT Shotokan Karate Ka 5th Kyu

Turkey

Karate is for Self Defense not Offense

Am a thai person but i can easily read over 4 language.

sempai for example the instructor is a black belt he need

the highest rank to be at the fronnt with him like all the students about 30

the highest is the brown belt so the brown belt is a sempai ahahahah

I am still training however, having dabbled in Shotokan and Shotokai Karate. I am please to report that Kenshukai is one of the strongest and most disciplined styles ( i did not write this)

Any student that is senior to you is your sempai. In Japanese and Okinawan tradition even if a person drops out of the dojo and you surpass them in rank and they come back, they're still you're sempai. It's sort of like a big brother. You would always be their kohai no matter what. My school does not wear patches or logos.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Any student that is senior to you is your sempai. In Japanese and Okinawan tradition even if a person drops out of the dojo and you surpass them in rank and they come back, they're still you're sempai. It's sort of like a big brother. You would always be their kohai no matter what. My school does not wear patches or logos.

A sempai is someone who mentors you and helps with your karate. Just because they are of a higher rank then you dosent mean they are your sempai. I will link an article later gtg.

I think both Sasori Te and Tote are right. A sempai can be anyone above you in rank, but especially one who 'takes you under his wing' and helps you to advance. Just what I have learned.

We wear the crest of our Sensei's Sensei's Sensei's - oh never mind - a really old insignia recognizing the style with a family crest intwined in it :D

There are two reasons to call someone "senpai": You are being mentored by that person in a relationship in which you function as the personal apprentice, or you are a student in school and you are a lower classman referring to your friend who is in a higher grade.

In Japan, when you begin working at a company, sometimes a mentor will take you under their wing and show you the ropes of the company. The same thing frequently happens between senior students and junior students of karate. Usually, the senior student will see some potential in a junior, then do their best to help them along. In Japan, this mentor is your senpai, and you might refer to him openly as "Senpai." By definition, the senpai is older, more experienced, and somehow sponsoring the junior man.

A good example of a senpai is someone that hires you on to work for them at a company. You join the company, and they protect you while you learn the ropes. Your new boss is lenient with you, and you obey carefully because you know your boss is spoiling you by granting you favoritism. Your relationship with your boss matures until your boss cannot live without you working with him, and you cannot imagine working for anyone else. When he gets promoted, you are pulled up by him in turn. When he changes jobs, you fill the spot he left. Your relationship becomes one of fast and loyal friendship - he the patient mentor, you the loyal apprentice. The mentor is the senpai.

It is rude to ask anyone to call you senpai. It is also rude to place the word in writing anywhere on your uniform, gym bag, jacket, t-shirt, or belt. I think the word is best avoided. You don't earn the title of Senpai by being the last remaining student of your instructor ten years down the road. You become a Senpai by having someone follow you around like a baby duck, clearly preferring your mentoring, guidance, and patience above all others. It shows great humility to function in that capacity without all of the glory attached, so avoid the title.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/101/18_senpai.html