• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of the obi (belt) grading system?

Sasori_Te

You have made a point that has been made several times. The rank is only as good as the instructor or the instruction to be more precise. There are so many instructors running around with 1 or 2 week courses behind their belt that the belt system has no basis in knowledge any more. I know that that is a sweeping general statement and doesn't apply everywhere. However, I don't believe laziness is why these organizations don't use any belts, or only use two belts. I think some of these guys are looking to get back to the true root of karate training ( like myself ). IF you read the other posts, belts didn't exist before Kano, Jigoro introduced the obi system in the early 1900's and then it was only white, brown and black. Kate do a little research and see what I'm talking about.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to publicly apologize for my comments on the rank system. My sensei believes they are about him and I must apologize to him for the misunderstanding.

Yeah, I know what you mean... I also have had to edit and even remove past posts because my (then) instructor felt I was insulting him when I was talking about a martial art in general. He thought that because I got my instruction from him, people would think that anything I say about the art, I say about him too.

I think Mr. Miyagi said it best:

Daniel: Hey, what kind of belt do you have?

Miyagi: Canvas. JC Penny. Three ninety-eight.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."