• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seven Star Mantis Kung Fu

look for a guy called yip gee keung

(or something similar, i only know his name in cantonese, not sure how it is romanised).

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this style rocks, its hte style i'm being taught right now, my sifu learned it from master su yu change in taiwain. Its the traditional lineage and style that focuses on very quick movents coming from your inner center or tantien, Its very aggresive but doesn't really specialize in muscle strength but more relaxed traditional kung fu strength, go to kickboxing.com and theres an article about traditional kung fu somewhere there. anyways its really cool, the movements and stances resemble the mantis more than the other praying mantis forms

For a workout, it will workout your legs alot, i have alot of leg strength now, but it doesn't emphasize using tense attacks like karate, its very settle and explosive at the same time, some other kung fu practicioners may say otherwise, but many of the other kung fu mantis styles were ruined from the communists, thats why my sifu came from taiwain, the original style went to taiwain when the communists took over china to keep the traditional kung fu pure, many of hte kung fu schools now though are derived from china that were ruined by the communists and now focus on muscle strength more than anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

umm... with seven star praying mantis. (and i'm pretty sure its praying, and not preying)

umm... not quite sure about the story (like names i don't know)

but there were two brothers that were kung fu practitioners. back then they did a different style. one brother always beat the other. well one day, the brother that always one went on a trip, and while he was away, the other practiced his kung fu. during practice, he saw two insects fighting. a cicada, and a mantis. the mantis substantially smaller than the cicada, the kung fu guy thought "the smaller one will definitly lose". well... turns out that the mantis literally tore the cicada up by tearing away at its legs and antennae while defending. an offensive defense... so the kung fu dude separated the two, let the cicada go, and took the mantis into his care. he poked at it with a piece of straw and studied its movements, and incorporated them into his kung fu.

well, the other brother came back... and they sparred, and the mantis brother easily dominated the fight.

so the two studied mantis together, and decided that they want to spread their style to everyone who could see the seven star constillation. (hence seven star praying mantis)

umm... i bet a lot of you skipped that story and decided not to read. but yeah, that's my input.

mantis is fun.

our sashes are handled differently tho.

we go from dark to lighter (signifying purity).

black first, then blue, then red, then yellow, then white i think... but red sash is about as far as you can go. takes a long time.

kung fu really doesn't matter what sash you wear. its more of a family atmosphere. and you only wear your sash to test.

anyways. take care.

• 1 month later...

when i first joined this forum i was one of the only ppl speaking openly about mantis im glad to see there are others here that practis mantis.

i can answer your questions i jest want to make sure that your looking jest for 7-star mantis.

i say this b/c there are different mantis styles as i am sure you know, but a lot of styles that say they are 7-star are really jest based on 7-star with many other style mixed in with it.

im not trying to bad-mouth someones style so don't take it that way.

i am jest trying to get strait what i think is being asked.

Fighting out of hate brings only disgrace.

i always thought the seven star was refering to the type of stance you use...

(as in the 'gwar bo')

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 1 month later...
Seven Star has elbows, high and low kicks, ground fighting, throws, pressure points forms, weapons, knees and internal training. In our kwoon we only have a 3 sash system, it takes 2-3 years a sash - yellow, green and black. Hope this helps

Empty your mind, be formless,

shapeless--like water.

• 1 month later...
some people seem to think that seven star refers to the constalations in the sky. What i have been told by a tai mantis master is that it actually refers to the seven folcrims (sp?) in your body the ankles knees hips elbows shoulders neck wrists.

Im great you are not