• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seven Star Mantis Kung Fu

what is this Kung Fu style mainly about? what is the difference between SSM Kung Fu and other Kung Fu styles? what is the belt system like? does it teach u good self-defense? can this style bring u into shape?

i only know that its about 350 years old and that Wong Long (shaolin monk) created this style using the movement and fight techniques of a mantis and a little monkey.

ur help is greatly appreciated. anybody here practices this style?

thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:brow:

I don't know much but can tell something.

SSM characterised by its conservative attack.

Usually they would throw 3 - 5 combination attack

in one time.

This can be good for self-defense.

No belt system but some sifu may do this for

easy understanding of level among student' progress.

Only 1 advice, don't even try to do

any modern Mantis that combine by Mainland China.

You learnt nothing but imitate a mantis

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

Well..this is my style so ill tell you a little bit of stuff. Mantis kungfu especially 7 star is alot like wingchun in the mechanics in how it works. its a very effective street form of kungfu. It sure as hell got me in shape but it depends on how tough your sifu is. the forms are very pretty youll learn such things as bung bo (crushing step) buk yun tao to and other forms. Also all these forms were stolen from other systems of kungfu because the mantis is sorta the "best of" kungfu compilation it steals forms from plum fist long fist and various others. it also has a couple of generic "shaolin" forms. have questions ask them to me since i didnt know specifically what you want to learn. glad to help

Im great you are not

Oh and about belt ranking systems it really depends on your sifu he'll probly have one because if you dont these days your basically shunned and people wont be interested. We have a belt (sash) system it goes like this white yellow orange green blue brown black. I am currently at blow belt with 3 and a half years of training.

Im great you are not

what belt are u holding currently, please? didnt really understand :)

i'd like to know whether there r certain uniforms in this style or do u just wear some sports outfit.

what r some of the street techniques like and is street combat the main focus of Seven Star Mantis style?

Is there a difference between "normal" Mantis Kung Fu and the Seven Star system?

is the focus on kicks, strikes, locks and r there grappling elements?

how important is strenght and flexibility?

why did u choose this style above all the other Kung Fu styles? did u do any MA before and then switched to Seven Star?

man - theres plenty to know :)

seven star (gwa bo), is a type of stance...

kung fu does not require you to wear a uniform per se but some schools/sifus will want you to.

and don't ask about applications/street combat/competition because what you do with what you learn is up to you.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Is there a difference between "normal" Mantis Kung Fu and the Seven Star system?

the 7* Praying Mantis system is the most common form of "mantis" gungfu out there, and i believe is considered the 'original' form of tong long devised by Wong Long.

there are other systems such as 8 step, 6 harmonies, etc.

the mantis guy here in Austin teaches 7* and he's very into flexibility, calisthenics, etc...

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

• 2 weeks later...

and don't ask about applications/street combat/competition because what you do with what you learn is up to you.

I agree. I dont do kung fu, but this carries over to karate has well. People always say, traditional styles have no application on the street. But, all the techniques are there, most people just dont try and find out which ones work for them and how they should use them.

Has for 7 star kung fu, i found 2 websites that may give you a bit of information:

http://www.itswahq.freeserve.co.uk/

http://www.mantiskungfu.com/