• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

white belt and katas

mouko_yamamoto

when you were a white belt, how many katas did you learn? Does it vary from school to school?

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

....Oh yeah, and unofficially...

KENJUTSU

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die." ~ Sima Yi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will change from school to school and style to style. For the most part you will see one kata per belt at least in the early stages.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

G95 is correct. one per belt is the norm. Although I start teaching the movements for sanchin as well as the first kata required for grading.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

yeah, I know one kata right now. They call it low form one. oh, and thanks for answering. :)

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

KENJUTSU

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die." ~ Sima Yi

I only learned one kata at white belt, too. Although I learned Kihon kata (Taikyoku Shodan) and as Heian Shodan is quite similar, once I'd learned my first kata, I already had the back of my second kata well and truly broken.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

THis is off topic but, can you tell me what is in a yellow belt test? Or can you direct me to where this already been asked? Thanks.

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

KENJUTSU