• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training in Okinawa ?

Goju1

Anyone trained in Okinawa? I just found out we (IOGKF) are having a Budosai there next July and its been a longtime goal of mine to go to the birthplace of karate. This is in Naha, which as most of you historians :) know is the home of Naha-Te, which was renamed Goju-Ryu. I'm curious as to great hotels, airline deals, stuff for the family (non-karate) to do whilst I train away in the heat and humidity :-? . Any info appreciated! Aragaki Shuichi Sensei, Miyagi Anichi Sensei and Higoanna Morio Sensei, plus many other masters from other styles will be there, so I don't think I can pass it up. Only problem is $$$, but if I live on bread and water (or beer) til then, maybe??? :D

Thanks in advance for any input.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow! You're going to Okinawa? That's cool! I'm planning to get to Okinawa too, if not now, then later, cuz I will visit Okinawa anyway in my life, I just have to, I'm a karateka. So, you're going to the Naha region? I like that. I study Shito-ryu and it is a bit similar to Goju-ryu. You know the kata Seienchin? That's a Goju-ryu kata and in Shito-ryu it's our main competition kata. It's a Naha-Te kata, if I'm not mistaken. Hey, if you will go to Okinawa and when you return, tell me about your trip! ok? :)

:D

Kill is love

Wow! You're going to Okinawa? That's cool! I'm planning to get to Okinawa too, if not now, then later, cuz I will visit Okinawa anyway in my life, I just have to, I'm a karateka. So, you're going to the Naha region? I like that. I study Shito-ryu and it is a bit similar to Goju-ryu. You know the kata Seienchin? That's a Goju-ryu kata and in Shito-ryu it's our main competition kata. It's a Naha-Te kata, if I'm not mistaken. Hey, if you will go to Okinawa and when you return, tell me about your trip! ok? :)

:D

You got a deal! Yes Seiunchin is our purple belt kata (4th), I would be interested in any differences, are there any websites where it is shown?

Great! Yeah, actually, Kunibakai Motobu-ha Shito-ryu (what a long style name, lol :D ) has some differences in Seienchin kata. I'll see if I can find any site's where that kata is shown....

Kill is love

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are some shots of IsshinRyu seiunchin:

http://www.isshinryu.com/seiuchin1.htm

I also may get a chance to go to Okinawa at some point --- there is an Air Base out there.

A group from my old school went out there in Aug --- I couldnt make it as that was the month I was taking my BB test.

KarateForums.com Sempai

You might want to try https://www.ebudo.com also. It's another martial arts forum with some incredibly excperienced martial artist that have lived and trained extensively on Okinawa. They'd be glad to help you I'm sure. :)

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Good luck Goju1, hope you manage to raise the £££ to be able to go to Okinawa!! Don't forget to tell us about your trip when you get back, I'm sure it will be amazing.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!