• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flying Kicks

Somebody submitted an article about flying kicks (I'd have put this there but they locked the thread for some reason). In the article the person demonstrating the flying kick was asked what he would do if uke grabbed his leg and he replied that they plan for that, and would bring the other leg around and kick. Which sounds reasonable. What the article didn't address is, what does tori do if uke just steps aside from his flying kick? That is what I'd do. I would think you'd have plenty of time to spot it seeing as how tori has to get himself up into the air before he launches the kick. Anybody know what the flying kickers do if uke just moves out of the way? Just curious.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always inder the impression that flying kicks were to be used as a surprise attack not in face-to-face situations. :-? At least tht is what my teachers have always said.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I was always inder the impression that flying kicks were to be used as a surprise attack not in face-to-face situations. :-? At least tht is what my teachers have always said.

8)

But isn't karate meant for self defense, not attack?

these kicks are basically sacrifice techniques. if someone grabs your leg, you can assume they are probably going to do nasty things to you.

you don't really "jump" per se, as you just kinda whip the other leg around. it is actually pretty hard to dodge when you are still holding the leg and not expecting someone to lay themselves out.

i know a fellow who does this pretty well, and once knocked a person out with it. i know, anecdotal evidence, but I've practiced this and it will work.

the real lesson is to avoid getting your leg grabbed in the first place, but i'll digress :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Fact is they were ment for taking riders off of horses. Same as some of the KUNG FU weapons that are swords with very long handles. These kicks were devloped many years ago. In a sparring match I would step to the side and blast they person as they landed.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"